Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is trap-neuter-return good or bad?

No feral cats around me, fisher cats get them and the squirrels and anything else they can find. I'd have no problem feeding them or leaving the garage open enough for them to come in but its a moot point I don't have any.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

There seem to be no feral cats around me either, but I have seen a few outdoor cats on rare occasions.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

I found this book on Amazon and put it in my shopping cart.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

cats are cats, they are nature's perfect killing machine, no one is going to change that. The only difference between a housecat and a lion is size. They all have the instinct to kill. Its up to people to stop dumping and abandoning cats, that's where the problem starts, keeping them inside where they are safe and other animals are safe from them is the solution. Spay and neuter the ferral ones but remember without outside cats we'd be over run with mice and rats that carry fleas and if you remember your history when cats were banned in Europe a plague broke out that killed millions. All because they had no cats to keep the mice and rats in check.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I had no idea cats were banned in Europe.

not now they aren't but at that time the Pope convinced everyone that cats were witches and had to be destroyed. Some were even burned at the stake, ignorant fools signed their own death warrant with the plague before they realized what what happening

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/...e-black-death/

To fully answer that question, you need to understand the belief system of medieval Europe. Based on historical accounts and medieval art, people during this period were prone to many superstitions. The Catholic Church was the most powerful entity in Europe at the time, and the masses were consumed with the presence of evil and eradicating it in any form it might be believed to take. Because of their secretive nature and their ability to survive extraordinary circumstances, the general population came to fear cats as consorts of Satan. The innocent cats began to be killed by the thousands.

The cats ultimately got their revenge, of course. Since there were few felines left, the rat populations increased unchecked, and the plague grew even more widespread. You’d think that the humans would make the connection by this point, but instead, they made things even worse. They began to associate the plague’s new vigor with the cats and even with dogs. They believed that since both of these animals typically harbored fleas, they must be the cause of the plague. Subsequently, cats were outlawed in many parts of Europe, and huge numbers of cats and dogs were killed. In fact, at one point in the middle ages, there were barely any cats left in England at all.

Even though cat ownership was illegal in some regions, a few people kept their felines. Other people finally noticed that these cat owners often seemed to be immune to the black plague. Word spread quickly, and more observations of this phenomenon were noticed. This resulted in research, crude as it was during the time.

Eventually, it was decided that the rats, not the cats, were responsible for spreading the black plague. Then, of course, everyone wanted to own a cat or two. And since cats are prolific breeders, it didn’t take long for the demand to be satisfied. The laws which had been the cats’ death sentence were repealed. In many regions, a new law took its place – one that protected felines instead of banning them and almost causing their extinction in Europe.

That is crazy stuff Linda.

I ordered the book. The authors like cats and do not believe in treating any animal inhumanely. It is all about the facts, written in an unbiased manner, and unfortunately they do not support TNR efforts or feral cat colony management.

I got an email letting me know the book has been shipped and will arrive tomrrow.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I got an email letting me know the book has been shipped and will arrive tomrrow.

Thats great!

I am looking forward to it and have a document ready for legal copying.

Thumbs down

I am now reading Chapter 6: Taking Aim at the Problem." At least one lawyer in Florida thinks feeding feral cats that kill individuals of endangered bird species are violators of the Endangered Species Act. This would mean TNR is an illegal activity under federal law because the people doing it obviously give feral cats everything they need to surviive prior to trapping them. Others say new legislation is needed to ban feeding feral cats, claiming it is currently legal in the United States and harming not only wildlife populations but also the cats themselves. Regardless of how the ESA should be interpreted when feral cats kill endangered birds or small mammals, some states and communite ban cat care to some degree - whether it is feeding outdoor cats, colony management, or all TNR programs - and others had such bills in the legislature at press time. So you may need to look up state or local laws before feeding outside cats to avoid losing some money over it.

some laws are made to be broken, If I see a hungry I'm going to feed it, I don't care what the law is, the law of humanity to animals trumps some politicians laws!

I finally started Chapter 7, TNR: The Palatable Solution That Is Not A Solution At All." In its official position statement, PETA acknowledges it would be better to manage a free-ranging cat colony than euthanize every cat roaming on the streets. However, PETA conveniently ignores what was discussed in Chaper 5: cats golng outside, then making people sick when they go back in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.