Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best way to integrate cat and dog?

Best way to integrate cat and dog?

Hey guys so me and my girlfriend are in a really tough spot. One of my good friends has a 7 month old Husky, who for whatever reason, he may have to give him up, and we've been talking about getting a Husky for a few months now just haven't pulled the trigger. Here's the problem though, she has her two cats that have lived with dogs their entire life and are completely fine with living with dogs. I have 3 cats who have probably never even seen a dog, let alone lived with one. I guess the one good thing is my cats, one is the mother cat, and the other two are her children cats is that they are social cats and like to come out and play a lot. The mother cat is I would say about 3 years old, and the two child cats are about to turn 2 in April. My girlfriend has always had 5 dogs and 2 cats and she says that everything will be fine, however my parents only owned dogs so I have no idea how to integrate a cat and dog.

Hi eberg! First of all, what are the names of all these pets? That would make it much easier for me (and probably others) to help you with this situation.

I am confused about who lives where. Are you living with your girlfriend and trying to take a dog from a male friend or still living with your parents? Sorry if my reading comprehensionv is a little off.

No matter how much or little experience your cats have had with dogs, they need to be introducted slowly with a new puppy. Because the husky already has a home, you have the luxury of scheduling regular visits for this if your friend (the one you will take the dog from) needs to get rid of it ASAP and has no time for a slow introduction. It would be less stress for all of the cats, who would otherwise have to be isolated in one room for a week.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Hi CatMom1994!

So the names of my cats are Apollo, Luna, and Jefferson, my girlfriends cats names are Baxter and Zooey, and the dogs name is Atlas. So here is the living situation. Right now I am finishing up my Undergad, I graduate in May. My girlfriend is currently enrolled in law school across the country, I am in Arizona, she is in Michigan. I live on my own with a 1 bedroom midsized apartment. Space is not a concern for me because I know I am going to give the dog a lot of exercise because my complex is dog friendly and there is a dog park within walking distance from my place. Currently I do go to school during the day but I am also home a lot and work on weekends. Now, of course all of this is going to change in 2 months when I move in with my girlfriend right after I graduate. She has a place thats twice the size of mine as well.

Also worth noting that my cats are not hostile cats. Sure they play with each other and everything but I have never heard one of them hiss at anyone or each other

Thank you for clarifying eberg. Normally a one-bedroom apartment is too small for a husky, but moving in with your girlfriend will help. It is good you can take Atlas (boy or girl?) to a dog park.

I hate to rain on your parade but huskies are not generally good with cats.

If you want to give it a try bring the dog to meet the cats, keep it leashed to you and make sure the cats have a place to escape to if it doesn't go well. After the dog and cats get used to the sight and scent of each other then put the dog in a gated room like the kitchen so he can see the cats and the cats can see him. The cats are not going to like the "intruder" they will hiss and growl and the dog may react.

To be honest with you it may not work out the way you want. You may have to keep the dog leashed to you for quite a while until the cats are willing to accept the dog and the dog won't try to kill the cats.

If the cats were kittens and the dog was already there it would be different but cats can be territorial and if they run the dog will chase.

Good luck, you're going to need it
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

CatMom1994, Atlas is a male husky

Linda2147, thank you for pointing that out because honestly, I did not my research on Huskies. Does it matter the type of husky? I know all huskies are bred to run and everything but I read that Siberians ave the highest prey drive, I am pretty sure my friends dog is a Malamute (I could be wrong, I don't know much about huskies). My girlfriends cats have lived with Jack Russell Terriers and a Pitbull/Boxer mix before and they got along just fine. What breeds are good for cats generally? I am just curious because I am and forever will be a dog person. I would be open to getting a German Shepherd or a Golden/Lab retriever as well

Unfortunately, the only dogs my parents ever owned growing up was Keeshonds, so I was never exposed to any other dogs.

ALASKAN MALAMUTES AND CATS

Malamutes can be successfully integrated with small animals (cats) if they are raised together. A Malamute puppy can also successfully coexist with adult cats. If raised with cats, Alaskan Malamutes can become very close, loving and protective of them. If not raised from a young age with cats (the critical time 8 weeks to 6 months), most Malamutes will be dangerously predatory toward them - hunting and killing them as if they were a squirrel, rodent or other small animal. Malamutes that grow up with one or more cats will usually consider them part of their pack, be protective of them, play nicely and cuddle with them and generally enjoy their company. It is MOST IMPORTANT to discourage the malamute's "Predatory Chase" - DO NOT ALLOW THE MALAMUTE TO CHASE THE CAT EVEN IN A PLAYFUL MANNER!!!

You will find that not every cat is so trusting of the Malamute. If you have or intend to have a cat EVER, it is best to obtain your Malamute as a puppy and socialize it to the household cats at a very young age. It is best to have the cat first, as the cat will always think of itself as the alpha/dominant creature, and if a young Malamute puppy is brought into the home at a young age and introduced properly, he will accept this.

Siberian huskies have such strong predatory instincts that smaller pets -- such as cats, birds, rabbits and ferrets -- often aren't safe sharing a home with them. Huskies can get along well with dogs of other breeds, but it varies by individual.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

dog breeds that do not usually do well with cats:

Sled Dogs (Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes, etc)
    Sight Hounds (Whippets, Salukis, Azawakh, and some others)
    Terriers (Jack Russel Terrier, Rat Terrier, etc)
    Guard dogs (this can vary a lot but some breeds like the Presa Canario, Cane Corso, and Fila Brasileiro usually do not do well with small animals in their territory.)

I have three cats and and a german shepherd, my shepherd loves the cats but I got the shep as a young pup and the cats were already here. So no matter what breed you choose get a puppy that will be more agreeable and adaptable to cats.

On the other hand some cats do not like dogs no matter what breed and size they are. You are going to have to be very careful when getting a dog to introduce to the cat no matter what breed you choose

atlas1.jpg here is a picture of the dog I would be taking in. This picture was taken when he was 3 months old, he is now 7 months is hat pushing the limit for puppy training?

Can you take the dog on a trial basis and see how it goes? Training is an ongoing thing but at 7 months he is already developing bad habits that need to be addressed.

Cute puppy! I agree that Huskies and Malamutes can be threatening to cats and even other dogs. I don't think that a 7 month old is too old for any training, but it will take devotion, time and constant supervision before the dog can be trusted around the cats. It is taking a chance unless someone is there full time, day and night, to make sure the dog bonds with the cats and doesn't attack or kill them. It's a big responsibility to keep the cats safe until the dog is fully trained, and there's no guarantee he ever will be, if he has instincts deep set to chase and attack. Good luck, but if it were me, I wouldn't chance it.

Based on the information Linda provided, I ws NOT recommend taking Atlas because you are often not home to supervise the animals. Huskies are also too big to live in apartments amyway. It is unfortunate but you have to do what is best for the pets.

If you just want a dog, look for a toy breed. Toy poodles, Cavailer King Charles spaniels, Chihuahuas, shih tzus, Havanse, Pomeranian, and bichon frises are no bigger than cats and less likely to hurt them in a playful tussle.

After deliberation, we are shifting our focus away from Huskys until a later point and I think we will be looking at Golden retrievers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.