Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Best way to integrate cat and dog?

Probably a good decision
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Sweet little dog.

by the way that is a husky, not a malamute
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Golden Retrievers are lovely dogs! My first ever dog was a Golden Retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by eberg1996 View Post
    After deliberation, we are shifting our focus away from Huskys until a later point and I think we will be looking at Golden retrievers.
    I love golden retrievers. When my Grandpa wanted a dog, Grandma said it must be the best breed for kids. (Imagine having 10 grandchildren.) The answer to that question was GR so that was what they got. His name was Max and he was a great dog his whole life. The only problemn was when I held his leash, he walked too fast for me because Grandpa was farther ahead, and if I ran to catch up, Max thought that meant he should also run. They are definitely loyal to the people who feed them!
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    By the way that is a husky, not a malamute
    So huskies and malamutes are separate breeds?

yes, separate breeds

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    by the way that is a husky, not a malamute
    I agree, it's a Husky for sure.

Hey guys so just to give yall an update, me and my girlfriend decided we would take in Atlas and train him. Turns out the dog was not nearly as bad as my friend had told me, and I strongly believe that any of the behavioral issues that the dog had were strongly related to the fact that my friend did not treat him correctly. According to him he only walked the dog two or three times a day for 30 minutes, so far, I have minimum walked the dog 6-7 times per day, and have seen a big change in his behavior. He has yet to chew up any of my stuff, which is a good thing, he doesnt bark as much, etc.

Now, in terms of the cats, this is where it gets interesting and at least fascinating in my opinion. Siberian Huskies are known for their high prey drive, however this dog has a really low prey drive at least from what I have observed. He is very energetic and loves to play and the cats havent gotten that yet, but he has never made any vicious attempts to try and kill them. He has chased them here and there but I am working on correcting that. One thing my cats are good at is standing their ground and they have shown him whos boss. Since the relationship is only a few days old, they have certainly hissed at him and pawed at him, and instead of retaliating, he just walked away or laid down. I understand it will take them some time to get used to him but even though they have pawed him they have also made attempts to get to know him and rub off on him. Interesting to me is that two of my three cats hiss and paw at him, but my smallest cat Luna is completely unafraid of him and will walk up to him, meow at him, etc. I understand that the relationship may not be 100% but I think its good for the cats to hiss and paw at him because it shows him not to mess with them, which is important in my opinion. I could be wrong though because I have never done this before lol

Also in terms of his prey drive, his reactions are 50/50 meaning that a cat will jump on the tree and he wont move a muscle but then a cat will walk by him and hell get all jumpy. Luckily hes too slow for my cats and, my cats have two good places to hide so if he does try and get them, they can go under my bed where he cant fit, or through the blinds on the windowsill where he cant get too as well.

Thanks for the update! Looks like your friend should have a dog that requires less exercise and outside time.

Are your cats climbing real trees or carpeted furniture?

The cats are climbing real cat trees, so I would guess the carpeted furniture? they are also on the countertops and on top of the fridge which is ok in my opinion. I dont mind them hissing at him or pawing him, they arent causing serious damage to him and are teaching him a lesson. The good thing is is that the cats are being social with me, and ignoring his presence, meaning they are rubbing on me, meowing at me, etc. not just hiding in the closet or under the bed.

Sounds like they're slowly getting to know each other, thanks for the update and good luck. It's good you're giving the dog more exercise, it's so important to keep them physically and mentally entertained with outside stimulus. Glad nobody's been hurt, you're doing a good job!

Unfortunately, since I live in an apartment by myself, there was no real way I could methodically integrate both animals, so literally the only way I could integrate was leash and harness introduction, seems to be working as the dog is learning his place in the household. I would have done crate training but atlas barks really loud in his crate and so thats not an option, so well see what happens

Eberg,I would be concerned about the pawing and hissing becoming a long-term issue if you don't separate the animals when that happens. Even in a small apartment, you can put one pet in the bedroom and close the door, righ? If it's a cat, that won't be a big deal. Linda and Alpha would know a lot more than me about crate training, but I personally oppose it except in medical or severe circumstances. My preference wouold be to gate off one room so Atlas can see the cats without jumping over it. I assume the dog forum would have more information about training Atlas because for cat lovers, it can somethmes be all about the things that meow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.