Constant Diarrhea

Constant Diarrhea

Hello All,

I have a 1yr old Shih-schon that I have been dealing with bouts of diarrhea for the past 6 months. Back in August she was given some Steak as a treat one night and began to have severe diarrhea that lasted for days. We took her to the vet who advised that the fat content of the steak likely caused her stomach to have the issue. We were prescribed anti-diarrheal medication. After a week of medication the diarrhea came back so we went back to the vet again who advised she may have more of a parasitic problem. She was treated for parasites. We were also given another longer dose of the anti-diarrhea medication as well as pro-biotics to treat her. Again, as all this medication wore off she went back to her diarrhea issues. We, at this time, were given another parasitic medication from the vet that was an older medication that required a longer treatment time (Approximately 30 days). During this time I was given food from a friend to also help in the curing of her digestive issues, Hills Science I/D. I have had her on this food since mid-December and I am happy to state that she had been diarrhea free for over 2 months with no issues.

Old habits die hard and I gave her some rotisserie chicken this past Sunday which resulted in another bout of diarrhea lasting from Sunday through Tuesday morning. I held off feeding her a meal to let her digestive system heal and coincidentally it did and she was back to normal Tuesday through Wednesday. I took her to the vet Wednesday night, 7:30pm for her annual rabies and other vaccines. She is not a fan of the vet so she was a nervous wreck for the whole 30 min that we were there. This morning at approximately 1:30am she woke me up to take her out, which is not normal, and low and behold her digestive issues are back. She has been having small amounts of diarrhea all morning, approximately 3 since the initial bout at 1:30. I am not sure if I can contribute this to the traumatic vet experience or if their is an underlying issue I do not know about yet. I am still feeding her the Hills I/D so hopefully this will help medicate her back to normal.

Does anyone have any input on her specific situation based on her back and forth issues for the past 6 months. Is she just a sensitive stomached dog or is there something further I should look into?

Maybe I can help you, Hills food is ok for the quick cure but not something to leave the dog on unless nothing else works. If there are no parasites, no colitis or irritable bowel ect put her on a good grain free food like Orajin or Fromm, be sure to give her the probiotic daily and buy some powdered bone meal, it sounds like she is not getting enough bone in her food. That is a trial and error thing, to much will make the stools to hard, not enough will keep the stools to soft or runny. Be sure to get bone meal for pets as they do sell one for plants which is toxic to pets.

Also you can ask your vet or go on line and get some propectalin, that will harden her up and help with any stomach issues
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

She may just have a sensitive stomach, you can't feed anything that's rich or fatty without a reaction. This product is sold over the counter or online, and it works quickly in a day or two for cats, also works for dogs, just adjust the dosage for fit the weight of the dog. Good luck, and 'tough love' with the treats next time, welcome.

Treatment protocols will always begin with treating any underlying illnesses or diseases that may be affecting your furry canine friend. This is paramount to resolving diarrhea. If your dog is very sick or dehydrated when you arrive at the clinic, hospitalization could be how the treatment commences. Intravenous therapy is the best way to stabilize your pet and return system levels to normal ranges. Some protocols can be followed at home, with the direction and support of your veterinarian. For example, acute small intestinal diarrhea can be treated by withholding food for 12 to 48 hours (but never water). If the diarrhea stops, you can slowly reintroduce bland foods such as rice, potatoes, chicken, or cottage cheese in small portions 3 to 6 times per day. The veterinary caregiver can also prescribe a commercial intestinal diet.

If you think she has a sensitive stomach you can add some digestive enzymes to her food
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

The others here have given you great advice, so I'll just say, welcome to the forum!

Hi Dannypo- Is your dog a rescue, or has she possibly been exposed to numerous ticks in the past for some other reason? My dog Sunny had unexplained repeated bouts of diarrhea for a period, and my vet said that this can be caused by BLOOD PARASITES, which she said are much more common than generally known, and they come from exposure to ticks. Sunny had been living on the street when she first came to me, and she arrived with many ticks. The vet prescribed Sunny a course of DOXYCYCLINE for a full month to treat blood parasites (Shorter courses will not stop the parasite's life cycle). The mysterious bouts of diarrhea went away and have never come back.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.