My First Rescue Dog Story

My First Rescue Dog Story

When my family first decided to get a dog, my mother started looking on Facebook. One of her friends had posted a "This dog needs a home" kind of post and it was a 10 month old yellow lab. It looked pure-bred. His name was Toby, and this was his story.

He lived in Mississippi, and lived with one guy and about 15 other dogs he picked up off the street. Toby and his sister were both there. The page said he was freindly with everyone, and being the dumb first dog owners we are, we immediately thought he was the best dog. We waited 6 weeks for him to come down on the transport, and we finally got him from another woman who drove him to us. We met at a donut shop, and when we first met him he was sedated. We drove home, and it took about an hour to just get him out of our car. When we got him inside, he curled up immediately in his crate and fell asleep. Over the next 4 months, we found the parts of his personality that his description didn't mention. He was very reactive, and had several incidents of trying to nip someone's sleeve. We had a new fence in, and there were two pretty big men working it. They fed him treats, they gave him baby-talk, but he still barked and lunged at them. We had a incident at the dog park with him snarling and snapping at another dog who unintentionally cornered him. He also ended the lives of several crate pads and blankets, when we left him alone in the crate(we did this only when we had too).

There were sweet parts of him too though. He would curl up with you, and snore. (He would also let out horrible smelling farts that could clear a room, we called them "Silent Deaths".) he would bound joyfully around the yard, and catch balls mid-air. He would look into your eyes with his brown soulful ones, and his mouth always seemed to be drooping. He was sad looking all the time, except when he was panting. We had 4 months with him, and we all grew to love him so much that it was really hard when we had to make the desicion that we were not the right environment for him. We had a older couple interested in him, and they sounded like the perfect home. When my father put Toby in the back of the truck, we all said goodbye to him, knowing that he would be happier at this new home. His brown eyes stared back at us, and he seemed to be sad too. My father drove back with no Toby. The house seemed so empty without him. I grieved for Toby like he had died, although I know he hadn't and was living a good life with his new home. Somehow the knowledge that he was being happy and loved at another home, not ours hurt too. I loved that dog, even though we had only kept him for about 4 months. I still grieve for him. Eventually we made the decision that the house was too empty without a dog, and we adopted one of the perfect family dogs, a beagle/husky mix called Cooper.

That wasn't the ending I expected. It sounds like Toby had a rough life prior to living with your family. Was it a family decision to give him up? Trust me I'm not judging but for me an animal is a lifetime commitment and I can't give up on them. But we're all different and that's life. I wish you well with Cooper.

Believe me, our family wanted to keep him badly. We also believe an animal is a lifetime commitment, but keeping Toby would've been a bad life for him. When my mom posted something on Facebook, we got some nasty comments like "How could you give up on him?" and "You are terrible people for rehoming him." We all loved him, but he was a scared, reactive dog and we are a busy family, and we leave almost every day. I know it was our dumb decision to adopt him in the first place, but I believe we did a good thing for him. If we hadn't adopted him and paid for the transport, he would still be living in Mississippi getting beat up by 15 other dogs instead of living in a nice home with a perfect family for him. He did have a pretty rough life, he was found in a ditch when he was a little puppy and has had no socialization.

unfortunately dogs can't pick their owners, he had a lot to overcome and you being first time dog owners and you just got something you weren't able to handle. If he was afraid of people and new circumstances he would be a fear biter, the most dangerous of dogs to own. They are a loose cannon and you never know what will trigger a bite. You made the right decision.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you for the support. It was a very hard decision to make, as we all loved him as much as if we had had him for 10 years.

I think you did what's right! I'm glad you loved him enough to give him the right home.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

I hope Toby was happy with his new owners, just curious, did you ever hear from them as to how they liked him and how he was doing? Did you tell them about his issues before you gave him to them. If you did, then it was the right thing to do. I hope he's happy today.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I hope Toby was happy with his new owners, just curious, did you ever hear from them as to how they liked him and how he was doing? Did you tell them about his issues before you gave him to them. If you did, then it was the right thing to do. I hope he's happy today.
    Yes, we definitely told him how he needed a calm quiet household, and how he needed more socializing with other dogs and people. We didn't want him to have to switch households again, and we get photos of him time to time sleeping on a couch. He was a pretty lazy dog. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MyDogIsAManiac View Post
    Yes, we definitely told him how he needed a calm quiet household, and how he needed more socializing with other dogs and people. We didn't want him to have to switch households again, and we get photos of him time to time sleeping on a couch. He was a pretty lazy dog. lol
    That's nice that they send a photo now and then and knew what his needs were before they took him in. You did good, glad you're happy with your Cooper now.

Thank you guys for all the support. Cooper is settling in well and he is as annoying as he is adorable. Lol

That was a good story! Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by MyDogIsAManiac View Post
    Cooper is settling in well and he is as annoying as he is adorable. Lol
    Annoying is okay, keeps you on your toes, lol!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.