Lymphoma

Lymphoma

I made this account mostly to share my boys story and maybe get some insight/advice support and hear others stories... before Christmas my 4 year old lab cross started having issues. He was peeing on the floor every day and night so I took him in and the vets were stumped, blood work and urine came back normal it started getting better suddenly but then he stopped eating.

Took him in for more tests and by the time I got a diagnosis he hasn't eaten any more than a few licks of wet food for a week. It was heartbreaking to see. We started him on prednisone at the beginning of January and luckily he went back to eating almost immediently. The vet was surprised at how quickly and we'll he responded to it and for a while he was more himself.

But at his last appointment his lymph nodes were growing again and he had lost 10lbs mostly in muscle mass and since then he's starting going downhill. I told myself as soon as he stopped eating again if take him in but I don't know if I want to make him wait that long. Hes just soo tired lately laying around. Still tries to follow me around the house to be where i am but its getting harder on him.

His breathing seems almost like it's obstructed. Just really heavy breaths. He's still eating but seems to be slowing down like it's getting harder. I don't want to make him wait longer than he has to simply because I want him around.

Took him for a walk in the forest the other day since the weather is warming up and he wandered for a bit but then came and walked by my side for the rest of the time and started slowing down at the end. Hoping to get him in there a couple more times whole he still is able to... sucks seeing such a young happy overly excited dog deteriate like he is having a hard time knowing when is the right time to take him in..

I can't make the decision for you but I'll say this cancer is a battle you can't win. I lost one of my shepherds to lymphoma about five years ago. She was put on pred and it worked for while but lymphoma is a very aggressive cancer and it was five weeks to the day after her diagnosis I put her down. She was still eating but tired, then the day before Easter Sunday she blew up, her whole body was bloated and she was having a hard time to breathe, the next day I took her in and they told me the lymph nodes in her neck and chest were so large it was strangling her. So I didn't want her to die that way and I had her put down.

If your dog is having a hard time to breathe it probably means the lymph nodes in his neck are getting bigger obstructing his ability to breathe. I know its very hard to have to make the decision but you don't want him to suffer. This is the last thing you can do for him and you need to love him enough to put your feelings aside and let him go peacefully
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Very sorry to hear about your dog. I had a female dog many years ago, who was diagnosed with Lymphosarcoma, diffuse large cell type. We decided against chemotherapy and radiation, as it's very painful for the dog, and it would have only extended her life a few months. She seemed to have difficulty breathing and swallowing. We kept a close eye on her, and stayed by her side for most of the time. When she completely stopped eating or drinking water, we knew it was time to let her pass on.

You are right Jones. It does suck to have to make the decision. That cannot be overstated. However, it seems you understand this is the right time to be thinking about it. I hope you find peace in knowing you did the right thing at the right time whenever it happens. We can't make the decision for you - that is your choice alone, based on what the vet says and your observations. But everyone who has had to watch a pet die by the needle knows it is more painful for them than the euthanized pet.

The word euthanasia literally means "good death." Of course no death is actually good; it refers to the reason sick pets are euthanized: to end incurable suffering. The challenge here is figuring out if the cancer can be cured. If the vet thinks it may go in remission again but is likely to return, why take a chance? I would want to know if the cancer will be cured permanently in the event it goes away. Hanging on with the hope it will not come back after a long remission will just cause you to keep worrying. Spare yourself the questiion, "Was the vet right?" and the fear that it will return. If the vet is not certain, you will never be sure either.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Hi Jones-

I found this website- you've probably already seen it.

https://caninelymphoma.com/canine-lymphoma-diet/

It recommends INcreasing the amount of protein (through meat), and DEcreasing the amount of carbs (e.g. most dry dog food contains a lot of carbs), since carbs apparently feed cancers.

Sorry, I have no experience to share. However among humans, one of the number one cancer fighting vegetables is broccoli. I found the way to make broccoli or any other vegetable appealing to my dogs is:

Stir fry very small, bite size pieces of broccoli or other vegetables with some meat. I use chicken, in a little olive oil, but I'm sure beef would work, too. The flavor of the meat goes into the oil and permeates the vegetables. In this way, dogs who otherwise show no interest in vegetables suddenly love to eat vegetables.

What I do specifically is first stir fry the chicken breast strips by themselves in the olive oil. Then remove the chicken and replenish the oil a bit. Then stir fry the chopped vegetables. Don't worry, the flavor of the meat will still be there. This allows you to cook the meat and vegetables for whatever time each needs to get cooked.

Positive thoughts to you and your guy.
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 03-02-2018 at 05:04 PM.

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog and it's a tough battle but you try to stay positive and cherish each day. Good advice to keep the carbs low though and I hope that helps.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.