Dog back from surgery

Unhappy Dog back from surgery

Hi! This is my first post here one of our dogs, Lola, had surgery to repair her knee. She came home today after spending 3 days at the vet. She’s doing great and we brought her home while our other dog, Babalu, was at daycare so she would have a few hours to get comfortable again alone. When he came home, we had them both on leashes to prevent Lola from getting to excited and jumping. She was so happy to see him! He was too but after smelling her and where her incision was, his ears went back, tail between his legs and he backed away from her. Babalu is part hound so smell is super important to him and I know she smells “funny” to him and that’s probably why he’s scared of her but it’s breaking my heart, they are best friends and he’s scared of her Has anyone been through this before and know how long it might take for things to be cool between them again? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear your Lola needed knee surgery, but I hope she heals completely and the operation is a success. I wouldn't worry too much about Babalu (cute name), everything in strange, he knows something is not right and I think he'll lose his fear once she's home awhile and feeling better. Also the smell of the surgery will lessen with time.

I'm sure they're still best friends, he's just uncertain about things right now. It would be great if we could talk to them in English and explain what happened and what's going on. Please continue to keep Lola quiet if you can, she needs to heal and not strain her knee. Don't take it too seriously yourself, I'm guilty too of overreacting sometimes and feeling extra sorry for my pets, it's just because I love them and sometimes get too emotional. Hang in there, all will be better soon.

did she have acl surgery?
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Yes, she had TPLO surgery. In case anyone is worried, we were really careful when we put the dogs together, they were both on short leashes and calm. Babalu is a jumper and stubborn dog so while we are keeping Lola quiet and contained, he would have found a way to her if we didn’t let them see each other. And so we decided to control the contact they had. He’s avoiding her like the plague for now, won’t even go to that side of the house right now which is good as she needs to rest and have limited moevement for some time but the way in which he is reacting to her freaked me out. They really are super close dogs and it was sad the way he reacted to her

he'll get over it. I'm, sure you were told she will need rest and no jumping or running for a couple of months. And you might find it easier to put a towel around her middle and hold her up when she has to go piddle or poop and keep the weight off the leg. Because the problem is with a sore leg she is shifting her weight to the good leg weakening that knee and not uncommon for the second knee to go within two years.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'm sorry to here about Lola and Babalu.

I had a similar experience when Jake (my cat) had a urinary blockage and he stayed over night at the vet's. When I brought him home his litter mate and best friend Elwood would go near him, smell Jake, growl a bit then walk away. It took about a day for Elwood to go near Jake and lay by him. I blame the antiseptic smell and unfamiliar smells so I'm sure things will get back to normal at your home. I hope Lola heals quickly

Update! Lola has been home for a little over two days and Babalu is no longer scared of her which is great and bad as now they want to play! Thanks everyone for the support

Good to hear and thanks for letting us know

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.