Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My dog only behaves on the leash when in familiar places.

My dog only behaves on the leash when in familiar places.

We have been working on loose leash walking with our lab mix, and she has a no pull harness. She is not perfect yet, but generally well behaved and doesn't pull too much when we do our daily walks through the neighborhood. But anytime we take her anywhere else, the park, the vet, etc. All of a sudden she freaks out and cant handle the leash. She starts to pull back, jump around, growl and roll around. I realize that it probably has something to do with being over stimulated in a new environment, but I'm looking for any advice or tips on what to do on this situation or what steps we can take to stop it. It makes me scared to take her anywhere in public by myself. She has never shown aggression, except this weekend at the park when she started jumping around, I tried to get her to settle down and she seemed to be trying to nip at my hands, although she did not actually bite me, and I'm sure she could have if she really wanted to. Everyone keeps telling me that we just need to keep taking her out to get her used to things but I am nervous that she will get off the leash or bite me one day if she gets scared. Any advice helps.

I don't need to use a leash very often as she stays right beside me but for going to the vet or the groomer I have a 6 foot leather leash, regular kind but it also has a handle near where it hooks on to the collar or harness. Works great, this way you have two means of controlling her, hold the end of the long leash in your hand and also the little one near her body, you have complete control at all times with the double handles
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I think you should do what other people suggested to you and you should put an attachment to your dog in case if she freaks out and run. You can still find her. I mean for emergency purpose

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I don't need to use a leash very often as she stays right beside me but for going to the vet or the groomer I have a 6 foot leather leash, regular kind but it also has a handle near where it hooks on to the collar or harness. Works great, this way you have two means of controlling her, hold the end of the long leash in your hand and also the little one near her body, you have complete control at all times with the double handles
    Thanks for the tip. But what if she really does freak out and run and eventually get lost? Are there any effective ways or current technology to find them as soon as possible? I really can't afford to lose my dog.

If you have a smart phone you can put a tracker on her, it attaches to the collar and shows her location at all times. Also get her microchipped, if she gets lost and found the first thing they do is scan for a chip
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by JaneBrenner232 View Post
    I think you should do what other people suggested to you and you should put an attachment to your dog in case if she freaks out and run. You can still find her. I mean for emergency purpose
    That's a really good idea. I have a dog too and she really freaks out especially when she sees a cat haha. What kins of attachment can you recommend to us?

If you have a smart phone you can put a tracker on her, it attaches to the collar and shows her location at all times. Also get her microchipped, if she gets lost and found the first thing they do is scan for a chip
    What kind of tracker do you recommend? How or where can I get it? I'll be gladly waiting for your reply.

I have known few trackers like Trackimo and Tile. Check their benefits and uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel3 View Post
    I have known few trackers like Trackimo and Tile. Check their benefits and uses.
    I've been looking at the trackers you have mentioned and so far, Trackimo got the best reviews. I'd consider buying it. Thanks!

Thanks for this Linda! I was kinda amazed by it's long battery life. Gotta try it for my pets.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneBrenner232 View Post
    Yes you're right, a name tag with contact info will help.

Great suggestion by linda. I lost my pet once good thing I attached my contact info with my dog. Gotta try the tracker and microchip. Which do you think is better?

I like the microchip, that stays in the animal forever. Only problem with that is someone has to scan the dog to find it. If someone keeps the dog unless its brought to a vet you won't get it back but on the other hand the tracker is on the collar and if the collar is removed its useless

I like the microchip, that stays in the animal forever. Only problem with that is someone has to scan the dog to find it. If someone keeps the dog unless its brought to a vet you won't get it back but on the other hand the tracker is on the collar and if the collar is removed its useless
    Well you have the point Linda but why do they have to remove the collar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.