Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for the perfect breed

Looking for the perfect breed

Hey,
    My family and I are looking for a second dog to accompany our 13 year old fox terrier x pappillion.
    We want something bigger, like a farm dog (Mainly Kelpie or Border Collie)
    But are worried because we live in the suburbs in Sydney and we want to make sure we are a good match for the dog,
    We are quite picky, don't want anything with a broad jaw and want a darker dog.
    We were thinking jack russell x border collie but aren't sure where to find one,
    If anyone has suggestions of larger but not overly active dog breeds
    Or whether the larger dog breeds would be fine (Mum and Dad are both marathon runners and we have a rural property we go to weekly or more)
    Any convo would be appreciated!

Thanks!

my breed of choice is a german shepherd, they are great family dogs but be advised they love the family they live with, not always good with strangers.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

My signature says it all. Don't think for one second you should buy a dog from a breeder or pet store. Purebred dogs don't live as long as mutts or bring any more love and satisfaction than mutts. Shelters have all sizes, shapes, and colors of dogs.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

I would love to adopt! Yes, that's another thing I forgot to mention - we dont want a purebred!
    We would love a mutt, a mix of breeds just brings something a little more special to the table, in my opinion!

I would love a german shepherd but mum doesn't like the long hair and they become quite high maintenance with age and their back legs don't they?

All dogs are high maintenance as they age but the shedding goes on all year, they blow their coat twice a year and shed the rest of the time. Small price to pay to own this regal breed
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Sounds gorgeous! I love your enthusiasm, i'll do some more research on them now, do you have any suggestions for a good crossbreed with german shepherds?

you've got to be careful with crossbreeds. Because if you say adopt a shepherd-doberman cross for example, the dog you get will have the good qualities of both breeds but also the worst traits of both breeds. So if you know what the mix is do some research and check out what each parent is, take into account what they were bred for and see if the two mixes are what you want. same goes for health issues of the breeds. There is nothing wrong with mixed breeds just know what you are getting into so there are no surprises after you get it

Quote Originally Posted by doggie View Post
    I would love a German shepherd but mom doesn't like the long hair and they become quite high maintenance with age and their back legs don't they?
    I thought all German shepherds are shorthaired dogs. Linda's avatar looks like a shorthaired dog to me.

All breeds have some kind of health problem. Heart murmurs in Cavaliers King Charles spaniels, back problems in dachshunds (you can see why), cancer in boxers. This is caused by inbreeding (littermates mating each other and/or their parents), so when two different breed dogs get together, their puppies are less likely to have those health problems. But there is always a risk of something happening to an old dog.

there are long haired shepherds also. I prefer the short hair but regardless a shepherd sheds all year, short or long hair there is no evidence to prove mutts are healthier, its only because of the wider gene pool from which they come from that some of the "problems" are not as noticable

Oh okay, thank you Linda,
    So helpful! I'll do my research now!

Don't overlook the pit bulls, they are great dogs with the right owners. They get a bad rap and its only the bad ones you hear about, they are what their owners make them, no dog is born bad, its bad owners that turn them that.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    Don't overlook the pit bulls, they are great dogs with the right owners. They get a bad rap and its only the bad ones you hear about, they are what their owners make them, no dog is born bad, its bad owners that turn them that.
    Do you want to dig up a thread (pun intended) about that and link it here? We have two or three of them.

Unfortunately pit bulls are banned in some places, so I would hope the mutt does not look like one.

there is nothing wrong with pit bulls that having a good owner and proper training won't fix. Stupid people ban a whole breed for the actions of a few. They forget anything with teeth can bite, may not be as much damage if it were a small dog but a bite is a bite. At one time or another a lot of breeds were banned, shepherds, dobies, rotti's and now the pits. People need to get a grip and stop judging all by a few.

You know that. I know that. How many other people have to be convinced they are wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.