Best pet gate for a cat and smaller dog?

Best pet gate for a cat and smaller dog?

I have a 9 year old Balinese cat, and a 1 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. We have had our Spaniel for about two weeks now, and he has now discovered he can go down the basement stairs. It would be fine, except, that is where the catís litter box is, and she likes to use it as a place to take a break from him. I want to get one of those gates that dogs canít go through, but your cat can still move freely. The problem being, most of them online look like he could fit through them. Any suggestions on gates? I canít do anything too expensive, I would say up to $50.

This is the gate I have that goes across the doorway leading to the basement where my cat has his litter box. It kept my young pup from going down there, and in my case, my kitchen has a half wall that the cat was able to jump up and down on to avoid the fence.

The openings in this fence get smaller with a narrow doorway, so if it's not stretched out, the openings can never fit a small dog (or cat) through. It was a reasonable price at a local hardware store where I bought it, I don't recommend you buy from their website, looks like those prices are always higher than other stores. Model number is 4620/22/23. Click HERE for their website and picture. Brand is North States Wood Gates.

You can use something like this as long as you have something on both sides of it for the cat to jump up on, and then go over the gate. We didn't used that top piece on ours that they show in photo. A normal expanding gate like the one in my photo was easy for the dog to get through when he was a pup, so it's better than this. You can see it to the left of this picture, next to the refrigerator, but it's in full open position. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum! I love Cavalier King Charles spaniels except for their medical issues that result in short lifespans.

It seems everything that is expensive in a store can be bought cheaper on Amazon. That was the case for my cat's Sherpa carrier and many other things. I never priced pet gates, but you should find something under $50 on Amazon.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Welcome to the forum!

WELCOME! We never had to use gates in our home. Our cats have access everywhere except the basement and a storage room but those areas have actual doors on them. We also have litter boxes in every room except the kitchen. I would think Walmart would have an inexpensive baby gate. What are your pet's names?
    ďSave a life and save a strayĒ

I can'r imagine having that many litterboxes. Two litterboxes were enough for three cats.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie410 View Post
    I want to get one of those gates that dogs canít go through, but your cat can still move freely. The problem being, most of them online look like he could fit through them.
    The only thing I can think of is to modify the cat opening on your own, somehow blocking part of the little cat door with some type of screen, wood or combo like that. It seems like you might be able to attach something to the gate to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    WELCOME! We never had to use gates in our home. Our cats have access everywhere except the basement and a storage room but those areas have actual doors on them.
    I've never used a gate for my cats either, just for puppy training. The breeders we got our cat from had a screen door in their kitchen doorway to keep the cats in the kitchen area when needed. I wouldn't want something like that in my house though.

I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

That's good advice Alpha
    ďSave a life and save a strayĒ

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.