Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My dog has IMT

My dog has IMT

Is there anyone here that has a dog or has had a dog with Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia? Our dog was diagnosed last week and even with the medications her platelet count is decreasing. Please help. We are so broken hearted.

as far as I know there is no cure but can be controlled with blood transfusions and steroids to suppress the immune system. By suppressing the immune system you leave the body open to other things but in this case you do what you have to do. Good luck and welcome to the forum
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you so very much. They are not talking about blood transfusions yet. That might not even work.�� Its just such a shock. Fine one week and the following week we are dealing with this awful disease.

I feel I have to warn you about cyclosporin as the drug of choice to deaden the immune system. Do your research on this drug, it kills the t cells and within months the dog can be in stage 5 cancer. If you have to go with a supressant tell them you want predizone. That is also a steroid and not good for them, as it can affect the kidneys but anything is better than cyclosporin.

I know what you are saying about a shock, before the shepherd I have now I had a shepherd rescue, after I got her back on her feet and semi normal dog I took her to the vet just for a rabie shot and checkup, found out she had lymphoma, five week later I had to put her down. I know how you feel and I can sympathize with you. I hope the dog gets well and things work out for you
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Welcome to the forum Jujubeaner, sorry to hear about your dog. My boy died from IMHA, which sounds similar, but he was older when he developed the immune blood disorder and transfusion wasn't an option for him due to his health. The vet said they did perform transfusions for younger dogs, but the results weren't guaranteed, and repeated transfusions may be needed. A little about my dog in this thread, starting with post #17, when I first learned of his condition. http://www.petforums.com/showthread....highlight=hans

What kind of dog do you have, and how old is he? It is a shock to hear something like this, my heart goes out to you.

I never had an animal with that condition and I'm sorry to hear that your dog has it. Alpha and Linda offer good advice and maybe other forum members have a similar experience with this. Please know that you're not alone and this is a great place for support.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Thank you all for your input. Sunshine is on prednisone at high doses. It’s not working though. We have the Internist appointment tomorrow at 3 so I will update again. She is still eating and drinking and acting like herself. We don’t have any idea what will come next. We have to watch our finances as well. I only work a few hours a week and my husband works full time. We are also helping out my parents who are in their mid eighties. It’s hard for them to live off of social security. Thank you all again!!

vet bills are very expensive, I know where you're coming from. My sister just last week dropped a thousand dollars on her rotti and he still isn't right, last week I had my cat spayed and a tiny hernia repaired, blood work before the surgery and microchipped and my bill was over $700. If you don't have it, you don't have it, you do the best you can with what you have. I hope for your sake the dog responds to medication and lives a long happy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujubeaner45 View Post
    Thank you all for your input. Sunshine is on prednisone at high doses. It’s not working though. We have the Internist appointment tomorrow at 3 so I will update again. She is still eating and drinking and acting like herself. We don’t have any idea what will come next. We have to watch our finances as well. I only work a few hours a week and my husband works full time. We are also helping out my parents who are in their mid eighties. It’s hard for them to live off of social security. Thank you all again!!
    Good luck at your appointment tomorrow, I hope they can give you some good answers and help your Sunshine. You're kind for helping your parents, my husband's mother and father moved into our home when they became elderly and too sickly to care for themselves....nursing home was not an option is we could avoid it. Looking forward to your update, I hope it's positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujubeaner45 View Post
    Thank you so very much. They are not talking about blood transfusions yet. That might not even work. It's just such a shock. Fine one week and the following week we are dealing with this awful disease.
    We have all been there. Maybe not exactly like that, but it is very common when pets get older and are preparinng for life at the Rainbow Bridge. Hopefully that will not happen soon for Sunshine, who is clearly a fighter and wants to stay with you a long time. Whatever kind of support you need from us, we have it.

High doses of prednisone should never be recommended for sick dogs. There is a difference between having too many white blood cells (WBCs) and having ample T cells to fight off infections. In my experience, low doses of predisone are not as bad as high doses, but the problem was allergies.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I can’t sleep because I’m so worried. I hope and pray that Sunshine will be able to get through this. I will post tomorrow.

Hope things went well today.

Things may be looking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Hope things went well today.
    So the Internist talked to us for almost two hours. He is wonderful! They did some more lab work and we will know the results tomorrow. For now there are no tumors or internal or external bleeding. Her RBC and WBC are in good shape. It’s her platelet count that is bad. We have to wait to hear the results from the lab tomorrow to see exactly what medications she will be switched to. Thank you!

Good luck Jujubeaner, thinking of you and Sunshine, hoping they can help her platelet counts.

Thanks for the update, and I will keep the positive thoughts coming your way for Sunshine
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.