Dog Brawl! Please help!

Unhappy Dog Brawl! Please help!

Please give me advice!!!

We rescued a medium built, 35 lb. Shepard mix just before Christmas. (Charlie) He’s been so loving, protective and easy to train. He immediately took a liking to my 5 Year Old and follows him around everywhere. Amongst our other 3 dogs, is an old grumpy, mini dachshund named Oliver, who rules the roost around here.

My 5 year old has tendency to antagonize Oliver because he thinks it’s funny to see him growl and become upset. Well, this morning my 5 year old did it again. And this time Charlie became defensive and a full on brawl ensued. It was so intense. I could not get him to let go of Oliver’s neck.

All the while I am screaming and frantically pulling on Charlie’s mouth in efforts to separate his teeth. My 1 and 5 year old were screaming and my other dogs were going nuts. I was able to get Charlie by the scruff of his neck and drag them outside, still attached. I turned around at one point, just letting them go, because nothing was working and I started to dry heave.

Charlie let Oliver go and then the whole situation 180’d and Oliver went to Charlie’s neck. My husband came outside and was able to detach and I just ran inside with Oliver in my arms. We took Oliver to the vet and he only needed cleaning and clipping and staples, with a few antibiotic injections. I have them them separated, but what in the world do I do?

I’m so heartbroken over the thought of having to give Charlie up because he totally adores my 5 year old and he, him! My husband is furious and only insists on "what if it happens again? What if he bites my 1 year old for doing something to my 5 year old? What if he kills my dachshund? All the what ifs! but I'm a believer in second chances. And I honestly believe he was only being what we want all dogs to be, a protector. Please send me any advice!!

The dogs may have to be gated from each other, in their own "room". Not ideal but they can't fight if they can't get to each other. If it comes to that I suggest putting a blanket over the gate so they can't even see each other. If they do have contact and another altercation occurs stand behind one, put your legs around the back legs and gently squeeze. This will put him off balance and he may let go. Put a harness on both of them so you can easily pull them apart if the need arises.

You also need to teach the child not to tease the dogs, he was lucky this time but he could have been bitten in the struggle.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

It sounds like a serious attack, and I'm glad that Oliver survived it. It's good you took him to the vet right away, but getting staples is nothing to take lightly. I don't blame your husband at all for being concerned for the future, he's being realistic.

I also agree with Linda, that you must teach the child not to torment the dog, it's not fair to the animal and it's just an unkind way to behave. It's nice that Charlie is so protective of your 5 year old, but if he's animal aggressive it's not going to be a good thing for your other pets or ones in the neighborhood. And if you have a younger toddler, you have to think of his safety too. I believe in second chances, but not if it's at the expense of my familiy's safety.

You could muzzle Charlie or separate the dogs, but in my opinion it's just putting a temporary bandaid on the problem. Maybe you can find Charlie a good home with no other pets, but you have to be honest with the potential adopters about this incident of aggression. Good luck.

I am so upset with my son for having instigated the situation. Despite our constant nagging of "Leave the dog alone"! I'm just so heartbroken over the thought of giving up. I don't believe that he would ever hurt my children. I was in the dog fight, just out of adrenaline instinct. I even had my hands in his mouth at various moments and I was never bit. I just don't know that he would never go after the dachshund again. And if he killed him next time, it would essentially be "my fault". What a decision to have to make.

I would keep the two dogs apart, even if you have to gate one off in another room. I know dog fights can escalate but if they don't interact there won't be a problem. As far as the child he needs a good spanking, he needs to learn actions have consequences, he was told not to tease the dog and still did so time for consequences. HE's five years old and by now should know better. If he teases the wrong dog the consequences could be very bad for him.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Mckensie View Post
    I am so upset with my son for having instigated the situation. Despite our constant nagging of "Leave the dog alone"! I'm just so heartbroken over the thought of giving up. I don't believe that he would ever hurt my children. I was in the dog fight, just out of adrenaline instinct. I even had my hands in his mouth at various moments and I was never bit. I just don't know that he would never go after the dachshund again. And if he killed him next time, it would essentially be "my fault". What a decision to have to make.
    You should try and explain clearly the reason why he shouldn't tease the dog. Children need to visualize the reasons for not doing certain things, not too late to have a couple of long discussions about that. You don't believe that he would hurt your children, but if he's protective and obsessive over your 5 year old, you don't know for sure what action would trigger an attack. There's really no way to know about the Dachshund either, it would be a tragedy if he killed him or injured him to the point where you had to euthanize. I'm sorry, what you're dealing with is not easy, but you have to think with your head sometimes, and not just your heart. I think you're a good person, and I do feel for you.

i know it's hard in the moment to keep your hands out of the fight but try to IF there's a next time. You can get hurt with a nasty bite. When dogs are in that mode, they don't care what they bite. I've had dogs that didn't get along with others. One was my working dog (he had a job) and the others were household pets. My working dog was the aggressor. I couldn't trust him anymore with the others so he lived in a kennel. On weekends we would take all the dogs for a run in the open sagebrush and they got along fine. It was a difficult situation, keeping them apart. When he came in at night, he was crated. We did separate the backyard up so that he could have his own area and the others could have theirs. But when we went somewhere during the day, he had his outdoor kennel which was really nice. Had a dog house attached, wood planked flooring, a roof. So it's either a matter of separating or re-homing.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.