What do they eat?

Question What do they eat?

I was just wondering what turtles eat? I know this is a very small thread but I just want to know!

Thank you!

Can some one please tell me?

I know they eat fruits and vegetables, this is from PetMD

What you feed your pet turtle will largely depend on what kind of turtle you have. If it’s omnivorous, your pet turtle will eat commercial food pellets, feeder fish and insects, and fruits and vegetables. If it’s herbivorous, your pet turtle can eat only fruits and vegetables.

You likely have a red-eared slider, which is the most common pet turtle in the U.S. “These animals are omnivorous, meaning they eat both animals and plants,” says Simon Starkey, BVSc, PhD, D.ABVP(Avian), Education Veterinarian and Technical Services Manager for PetSmart. Like red-eared sliders, most water or aquatic turtles eat an omnivorous diet. Follow the guidelines below and your turtle will be in great shape.

- Commercial pelleted food: It’s best to buy food made just for turtles, as this food will float and typically not fall apart as easily as pelleted food designed for other reptiles, Dr. Starkey says. Pellets should make up 25 percent of your turtle’s diet.

- Feeder fish and/or insects: Feeders like comet goldfish provide a great source of protein, as do correctly balanced minerals like calcium and phosphorous, and good levels of certain vitamins, like vitamin A. “As with pellets, these should make up 25 percent of a turtle’s diet,” says Dr. Starkey.

- Fruits and vegetables: Fill up the remainder of your turtle’s daily diet with fresh produce. The best veggies are chopped dark leafy greens such as kale, collard, and mustard greens, Dr. Starkey says. Shredded carrots, squash, and zucchini are great foods that turtles can eat, too. You can also go with edible aquatic vegetation such as water lettuce, water hyacinth, and duckweed. “For fruits, consider shredded apples and melons, as well as chopped berries,” recommends Dr. Starkey. “Supplement fruits and vegetables with reptile calcium and vitamin powders.”

If you have a land turtle, or tortoise, for a pet, they eat a strict herbivore diet. This means that their food should consist of only fruits and vegetables, usually a dietary mix of 20% and 80% respectively.

What Do Baby Turtles Eat?

What turtles can eat largely depends on their age and nutritional requirements. Keep in mind that younger sliders will eat relatively more protein than older animals, says Dr. Starkey. Baby turtles need to eat higher amounts of pellets and/or fedder fish relative to fruits and veggies.
    Thread you might want to look at: http://www.petforums.com/showthread....Tomato-(Video)

Ok! thank you sooooooo much for telling me Alpha!

You're welcome Yeti.

Thanks again!

I've never had a turtle have you?
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    I've never had a turtle have you?

No.

"Turtle" is a vague term that could mean box turtle, any terrapin or sea turtle. Different species of turtle will have different nutritional requirements and therefore will eat different foods. Terrapins are generally omnivorous requiring a mixture of plant matter and protein sources (typically feeder fish or insects).

Generally speaking, appropriate vegetables include the addition of dark leafy greens, including spring/collard greens, mustard greens and turnip greens, with occasional feeding of kale and Swiss chard (good nutritional content but high in oxalates and goitrogens, which are anti-nutritional compounds). Squash's are also generally good, including butternut squash, Acorn squash and kabocha squash, and other foods that can occasionally be fed include carrots, cucumber, courgette/Zucchini, and other such vegetables. lettuces are a questionable food source as they are mostly composed of water with poor nutritional content and may cause diarrhoea in excess, they're also reasonably high in oxalates.

Fruits can be fed but in smaller quantities as they are generally very high in sugar. Occasionally apples and certain berries can be fed (blueberries, blackberries, cherries etc), as well as melons such as cantaloup, water melon or honeydew lemon. High sugar fruits such as bananas should generally be avoided to prevent sugar ferment in the stomach resulting in colic.

Herbs may also be fed (depending on species) including chives, basil, watercress, parsley, hibiscus, dandelion greens and alfalfa.

Foods such as aubergine/eggplant, garlic and avocado are all potentially toxic to reptiles so should be avoided.

A varied and well thought out diet (as well as nutritional supplements) is important to prevent nutritional deficiencies; the most common among turtles being calcium deficiency vitamin A deficiency and Thiamine (vitamin B1) deficiency.

A Thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency is often not a result of insufficient feeding of the vitamin but rather feeding of large quantities of raw fish, particularly salt water fish. This is due to the fact that the guts of some fish house an enzyme known as Thiaminase which deactivates vitamin B1 rendering it useless. Fish that contain particularly high concentrations of this enzyme include; smelt, cod, grey mullet, and can also be found in others like minnows and goldfish.

Calcium deficiencies can result in feeding foods too high in oxalates, which binds to calcium in the gut, preventing its absorption, as well as insufficient supplementing of calcium and/or poor UV provision.
    Feel free to visit my website for information on Reptilian Care
    https://reptile-savvy.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    What do turtles eat?
    Coyotes. Turtles are one of their few, but most feared, natural predators. If you're out hiking and hear a coyote yell out suddenly as it meets its end, you can be sure. A turtle got him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    Coyotes. Turtles are one of their few, but most feared, natural predators. If you're out hiking and hear a coyote yell out suddenly as it meets its end, you can be sure. A turtle got him.
    I don't under stand, how a turtle can kill a coyote??????????? And do they eat it?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.