Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New kitten and older cat -- is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by sketchyeh View Post
    No, I haven't taken him to the vet yet. I am waiting until he is old enough to get neutered. He doesn't have a pot-belly per se, it's just a healthy sized little kitten tummy. He has been putting on some weight, so the bones are a little less obvious. I think maybe the diet he was on before I got him maybe wasn't giving him enough nutrition or something. Normally I would take him to the vet just to be sure, but money is kind of tight right now so I'm just saving up to do it all in one trip.
    I recommend you work it out with the money part, and get the kitten to the vets soon. Most, if not all, kittens need to be de-wormed when they are young, and also need to get their kitten shots. I don't think my vet would ever perform a neutering on a kitten that had not completed his shots yet and needed a de-worming. For my cat also, they recommended a blood test before doing the surgery to make sure he was healthy enough to go under anesthesia, etc.

You are righjt and wrong Alpha. Patricia's first vet told me she can't get aq rabies shot until age 4 months, which was past the shelter's deadline for her to be spayed. I asked her about it because the shelter was going to give her a rabies shot on spay day. Howeover, I agree it is always better to wait until all kitten shots are done.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Sandy had all age appropriate shots before she was spayed, had the blood work done prior to surgery and had her rabies shot and microchip done when she was spayed. I put off the rabies shot as long as possible, she was also dewormed several times even though all the fecal tests came back negative, reason being if there were eggs the dewormer wouldn't kill them, so she was dewormed every two weeks plus the one she had when I got her to make sure there were no eggs left unhatched.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    You are righjt and wrong Alpha. Patricia's first vet told me she can't get aq rabies shot until age 4 months, which was past the shelter's deadline for her to be spayed. I asked her about it because the shelter was going to give her a rabies shot on spay day. Howeover, I agree it is always better to wait until all kitten shots are done.
    The point I was making CatMom, is that a regular veterinarian would not do such a surgery on a cat unless he had his vaccinations in order, and a deworming should be done first also. I don't know how they do things in shelters, maybe they rush things along when they shouldn't.

My cat was given his rabies and FVRCP-C2 at 4 months old. He was neutered a month later at 5 months old. So waiting until you want to neuter a cat and expect them to get all their shots and deworming in one visit is not realistic....at least not in any vet offices I ever used.

not realistic and not a good idea anyway, all those shots at one time is to much of a hit on their immature immune system. I don't allow combo shots, one shot at a time, for both cats and puppies. Then I'm told "well if we don't do combo shots, you'll have to pay for another visit" ok, I'll pay the extra I don't care their health comes before money
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I will return to your vaccine thread and see what the professionals think about giving kittens separate R, C, and P shots every two weeks. Keep in mind the OP brought this up because she has a tightt budget, so your preferences do not help her today..

Common sense tells you not to overload the animal with a bunch of shots all at once.

Welcome! First off I would say they are doing well. But I would get Finn to the vet now to check for worms and outher kitten illnesses. In would also add one more litter box. Although they seem happy with one it is best to have one per cat. This should help with some of the aggression . If have any corners where your older cat can pin Finn into setting up an escape rout is useful as well! Lastly once Finn is fix things should calm down! I hope I have helped!!

IRW, the OP said she has no place to put another litterbox or separate them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.