Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Review my cat book

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Getting killed and abuse, very depressing subject for a book, you hear enough about that on the news.
    I read articles in the last two days about cats dying after they ate lilies and a headline about one who was rescued from tulip poisoning. Everyone said the same thing: Too many people don't know lilies are toxic to cats. So it is about raising awareness for the people who plant lilies, tulips, daffodils, etc. Of course I will sprinkle rescue stories in it too (starting with Wilbur).
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Rescue stories are good to lighten things up. Plenty of toxic plants for cats, but not all cats will eat them or be affected. Listing here.

That page is on my bookmarks list. What's weird is chrysanthemums and daisies are listed as the same flower. Nobody else calls a daisy a white chrysanthemum.

My 12-year old nephew, Peter, did not get up and play with the twins, so I decided to keep my mouth shut.

Hours later, I complained to her about the printer giving me "out of paper" messages. When she finally figured it out and solved the problem, two copies of the foreword were printed, so we each have a copy of it. She initially did not seem to be happy at all, asking me who will see a PDF file with my name on the first page. Less than an hour later I sat on the couch next to her and said it is supposed to make her happy. Mom said she is happy and "writing a journal" is a great thing to do. Of course I only told her it is about cats,. She set down one rule: "Just don't call it a book." I will keep calling it a book with everyone else and put up with her using the word journal.
    Last edited by CatMom1994; 05-13-2018 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Updated information

CatMom, are you still working on your book? How far have you gotten?

Alpha, it is extremely frustrating tying to find stories about cats killing themselves by eating flowers outside the house. There are plenty of articles about people bringing lilies inside and losing cats but that totally negates the point I am trying to make. You would think I did not need to write letters to the AVMA and AAFP just to get information about one case of outdoor lily poisoning. That is supposed to be the first deadly incident I write about. Maybe I need to change course and research cases of chemical poisoning, then get back to toxic plants later.

I have no examples of cats killing themselves on outdoor flowers, or chemical poisoning and would not want to buy a book that just repeated cases of death....maybe you should make the subject more upbeat? Do you think you'd get a lot of paying customers? Hope you can find the articles and details you need to continue with your book.

Posted this list back in 2012, I've had some of those plants in my home over the years and had no problems with my pets eating them. http://www.petforums.com/showthread.php/556-Plants-Toxic-to-Cats?highlight=toxic+plants+cats

I can write stories about cats who had lifesaving procedures after ingesting toxic chemicals or plants. Would you be interested in that?

Just go with your feelings CatMom, it's really not important what I'd be interested in, good luck in finding the information you need to move forward.

Thank you Alpha. I will restart Chapter 1 after finally getting a new computer ready.

CatMom1994, as I look at books about cat ownership and all, it will be difficult for you to come across as an expert in order to have any impact on medical issues and all with cats unless you have the proper credentials.

Are you a certified veterinarian?

You may cite others' works you have found on the Internet. However, anyone can look this up. Plus when involving others' works such as research papers, etc., be sure you have the proper permissions from them to use in your work.

I would say if you seriously wish to pursue the idea of keeping cats safe from plants, toxins, and dangers, do your own research.

Interview veterinarians, and give them credit for it. Go to your local law enforcement animal control people, interview them, and give them credit. Go to your local animal shelter and interview them, and give them credit for it.

While I understand what you're doing is a good gesture, lumping together a bunch of stuff from the Internet is hardly the stuff of a real source of information, as anyone can look it up for themselves. Plus you might come into plagiarism issues and no one wants that.

Go out and do real research with veterinarians, law enforcement animal control, and animal shelter folks. Real honest research like that will never go wrong and will enhance the chance of your book being taken seriously.

You asked for a review. I will say this: As a cat and dog owner (okay, my Lilly did pass in May but I had her for 11 years and a wolfdog for 12 years before her) any book written with just Internet searches with no vets or professionals' involvement would be something I would not be interested in whatsoever.

As a cat owner, I would be interested in your book if it had real sources and not just stuff off the Internet.

Also as an author, I can say it has to be much more than just ideas thrown together. It needs form and direction.

Try getting out to talk to veterinarians and all those associated with cats. I think that would be the best with your idea of a book.

I wish you the best of luck.

Hugs
    Saav
    http://www.petforums.com/showthread....of-Stony-River

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Don't worry Saav. I had already planned to write letters to the AAFP, (American Association of Feline Practitioners), AVMA, ASPCA, HSUS, and AHA (Anerican Humane Association) and obviously ACA (Alley Cat Allies) with bulleted lists of topics to request detailed relevant information. Other letters I plant to write will be addressed to the Michigan State University College of Law Animal Legal and Historical Center and Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Feline Health Center, and cat behaviorists Jackson Galaxy and Pam Johnson-Bennett in the same format.

Good luck in getting responses to your letters for your book CatMom, not sure though, those folks are probably too busy to answer letters and may be hesitant to give out any detailed information.

Well while I understand writing letters is a good thing, real interviews with experts is the way to go. Also, when writing letters to them, are you telling them you are writing a book? You have to pay them for their contributions and credit them. Their work is not your work and you have no right to publish their information without 1) crediting them, and 2) paying them for their contributions.

Even response from letters needs to be credited.

I don't think writing letters takes the place of you actually interviewing people in the immediate field of expertise. To be honest, I could write letters to people all day and these people probably have more important stuff on their agenda, they could be in the midst of research and not ready to divulge information, and for any of those folks to divulge information probably needs permission from the institute, as this is often privileged and not yet published.

Most importantly, the folks you're planning to write letters to have websites. I am sure that's how you found them. What is on their websites is all they can divulge and you still need permission to take material from a website and credit them and pay them for their contributions to your book.

You have to be very careful, as I said before. I paid my vet for helping me write my book when I had just a couple of questions. She wouldn't take my money, she thought a signed copy was great, so I turned the tables on her. I gave her 20% of every book I sold, and told her to take the money and use it for folks who need financial help in vet care for their pets. That worked out purrfectly.

Again I wish you the best of luck, but you need to get out and speak to those who can help you.

And yes, I am worried. You have mentioned this book here in this forum without references, without copyright, without credits, without payment arrangements, and without any type of credulity. I never, ever, posted my book without its copyright through the Library of Congress.

If there are discrepancies as in copyrighted material, anything used without credit and stuff garnered from websites without permission, this whole forum and its owner could be held liable for plagiarism and it could possibly be shut down and fined.

I would strongly suggest to consider pursuing your book and not posting it until you have proper permissions and an ISBN number from the Library Of Congress. Letters are probably not going to be answered, but as I have stressed, do not use any info you can see on the Internet and use it freely.

Please, please be responsible. Remember, not everything on the Internet is free to use, and never use a source for a book without at least a promise of the proceeds if you do sell it.

And don't post it until it's been cleared and you have an ISBN and a copyright.

I still wish you the best of luck.

Hugs
    Saav

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Don't worry Saav. I had already planned to write letters to the AAFP, (American Association of Feline Practitioners), AVMA, ASPCA, HSUS, and AHA (Anerican Humane Association) and obviously ACA (Alley Cat Allies) with bulleted lists of topics to request detailed relevant information. Other letters I plant to write will be addressed to the Michigan State University College of Law Animal Legal and Historical Center and Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Feline Health Center, and cat behaviorists Jackson Galaxy and Pam Johnson-Bennett in the same format.
    Writing letters is one thing. Getting permissions is another for a book. Please please keep your book to itself until you have complete permissions and it's cleared through the Library of Congress with an ISBN.

Then don't post it until a good editor clears it of any plagiarism or other issues.

Please be careful. I'm concerned that you don't seem interested in going out to speak to veterinarians, humane society people, or animal control folks.

That is quite odd that you won't go to them for a book of this type.

That completely baffles me.

Again, I wish all the luck and best wishes for success.

Hugs Saav

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.