Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Review my cat book

It is not that I don't want to. I am physically and financially incapable of directly going to places for live interviews and having face to face discussions. So really all I can do is write letters.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

You can call them. That would work well; record the conversations on your phone and take notes.

Hugs
    Saav
    http://www.petforums.com/showthread....of-Stony-River

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Saav View Post
    You can call them. That would work well; record the conversations on your phone and take notes.
    No I can't, for many reasons. It is how it is. Believe me, if I could do it the normal way the book would already have been done.

CatMom1994, I have given you ideas and solutions for a successful book. I have told you where to go and who to go to.

Please understand: you are writing a NON-fiction book. You have to have creditable sources, backed by certain credentials and sources who are willing to talk to you about the issues you wish to include in your book.

Getting on the phone is no harder than looking junk up on the internet. Unless you have no phone and just internet, get Skype downloaded on your puter. You can call anywhere and anyone on Skype. Great program, and it is free.

Honestly, I'm a published author and you aren't yet. You will need phone contact with anyone with whom you want to submit your manuscript, and you will need to find an editor. Even if you self-publish, you will need to copyright your book through the Library of Congress and get an ISBN, and that requires a phone call and documents emailed to you.

Also, no publishing houses take unsolicited manuscripts. You have to go through an agent and pay them as I did. My fiction book was turned down, but I had the copyright, the ISBN, and so I self-published the first 100 copies, sold 84 of them at $9.00 a piece. Cost me $.70 per copy at Staples, designed my own cover, and I went to local bookstores and sold them. I then printed out the other 200 copies at Staples, sold those, and made quite a lot of money on them.

You cannot write a book of non-fiction when it comes to pet care without credible sources, and not paying those who contribute to your book. You cannot get a copyright and an ISBN through the Library of Congress until you can prove either 1) it is all your work, not Internet sources (unless you are a veterinarian with specific knowledge) which is plagiarism and 2) if not your work, credits to whom have helped you.

Skype may be a way to communicate and I hope I have been able to let you know what all is involved in writing a book such as yours.

I wish you the best of luck.

Hugs
    Saav

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Actually I don't need to find an editor and publisher because I am writing an ebook to put out online. It will be completely self-published. I am aware of the requirement to write permission letters before copying ang materials.

What you don't understand is I am disabled and physically unable to talk/listen - everything must be written. That is why I joined this forum.

Don't feel like you are not helping me. I do need to learn about ISBN and copyright stuff. It just seems impossible for me to use Skype or a similar chat program because of my limitations.

I haven't been following this thread very closely but I believe that whether or not you need an ISBN depends on where you sell it, for instance Amazon. But you don't need one if you are going to sell it yourself. There are also places on the web like lulu.com where you can sell your ebook and it doesn't cost anything to publish, they give you a commission when a copy sells. They also provide you with an ISBN or can help you in getting your own.

Whether or not you register a copyright is up to you. You own the copyright on creation of the work even if it's not registered but a registered copy right will help you in legal situations such as someone claiming your book as their own.

I don't get the registration part. Are you referring to submitting it to the Library of Congress?

No I was referring to registering a copyright to protect your work from unauthorized use such as someone trying to make money off it without your permission or passing it off as their own work. I don't know anything about the Library of Congress or if that's where copyrights are registered in the US. In any case you automatically own copyright to your work even if you don't register it.

So all I have to do is insert the letter C in a circle symbol and type "All rights reserved" to prevent people from copying pages and paragraphs?

Yeah, you have every right to put a copyright symbol on your work even if it's not registered but that won't stop someone from copying your work, even a registered copyright wouldn't stop someone from copying but it gives you a legal edge if you go to court.

If I had to go to court I would register it.

No, you have to go to the Library of Congress and get a certified copyright and an ISBN. That is what we do when we have books that need a copyright, even if we self-publish or go through a publisher.

Call or email the Library of Congress for your LEGAL copyright. They will give you a certified ISBN and grant you the copyright. They will review your work, decided that it has no copyright infringements, plagiarism, and all your references are properly used.

That C thing is no good. Anyone can do that. You do not own a copyright to your writings unless you apply for it and get it registered properly.

My book is properly protected, I have a copyright and ISBN, and that's why I can post it here, as I did, because it is protected. That C thing in Word does not protect you at all. You do not own the copyright to your book.

Until you properly protect it, if someone steals your work, you have no leg to stand on if you need to sue someone stealing your work.

Also, doing your work and mailing it to yourself is NOT a copyright. That C thing and mailing it to yourself does NOT constitute a copyright.

You need to contact the Library of Congress for a proper copyright and ISBN. Please, please do so. I did. That is the correct way to protect your work.

I hope you choose the better path here.

Hugs Saav

Quote Originally Posted by Saav View Post
    You do not own a copyright to your writings unless you apply for it and get it registered properly.
    That is false, you own copyright to your own work whether or not you register it, you are correct in that a registered copyright helps in litigation proving that it's yours.

Saave, I was nolt going to copy and paste the4 TOC, index, glossry, and bibilography and title page beforeon this forum. The Wilbur story is ahearstring though, one about a cat many other posters had seen pictures of, I would feel bad if I did not tell the full story of how he became my cat here, where everyone who knows me also loves cats.

I love the story of your cat!

I think the whole book should be about him, as kind of fiction. I think it's wonderful and let your imagination run!

Hugs
    Saav

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.