Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Review my cat book

Quote Originally Posted by Saav View Post
    I love the story of your cat!

I think the whole book should be about him, as kind of fiction. I think it's wonderful and let your imagination run!
    I guess you were not followinkg the reasons I am writing a book and decided to start it with Wilbur's story, which is 100% factual.

First of all, look at my signature. "An inside cat is a safe cat." This statement clearly implies an outside cat is an unsafe cat. How many reasons can you name that outside your walls is a danger zone for domestic cats? So many people do not realize how dangerous their own neighborhoods or even backyards are until it is too late that I feel very strongly about getting this message out there in writing. Wilbur's story is the purrfect foreword becauxse it is about how a stray cat who coukld have died outside or at a shelter became an indoor cat permanently.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I guess you were not followinkg the reasons I am writing a book and decided to start it with Wilbur's story, which is 100% factual.

First of all, look at my signature. "An inside cat is a safe cat." This statement clearly implies an outside cat is an unsafe cat. How many reasons can you name that outside your walls is a danger zone for domestic cats? So many people do not realize how dangerous their own neighborhoods or even backyards are until it is too late that I feel very strongly about getting this message out there in writing. Wilbur's story is the purrfect foreword becauxse it is about how a stray cat who coukld have died outside or at a shelter became an indoor cat permanently.
    While first of all, as my cats are inside cats, I agree. However people have inside/outside cats who are fixed and only go out into the yard to do their business and come back in. They stay close to home and do not wander.

There are cat owners who are allergic to cat urine and feces, making it impossible to have indoor cat boxes. I see nothing wrong with a fixed cat being let out to poop or pee in a backyard and coming back in.

My Monster was like that. He was fixed, had all his shots, was healthy, but had an aversion to the box, so hubby and I let him out during the day and night to go do his business outside. He would run out, and we'd wait five minutes and he was back wanting in.

That was his way.

Don't always judge people owning cats and letting them outside. While there is a good argument of inside cats being safe, you don't know everyone's circumstances, and you can't judge anyone for letting cats out. You do not know the circumstances, and painting a broad brush over this is not going to help folks who do let their cats out.

While your signature does have truth to it, read mine. It has has a much better message, and one we all must realize.

First, as you see, It's cute: Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

The second: They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

That's a very important issue. Also, having up-to-date shots such as rabies and all is very important. All my cats, although they don't go out, have all their shots. What if one got out?

An inside cat is not necessarily a safe cat without spaying, or neutering, or without the proper vaccinations. Also all indoor cats need to be treated for fleas monthly if there is a dog who can bring fleas in, and the dog as well needs to be treated monthly.

So not all indoor cats are safe. Fleas are not cool. Just stating an indoor cat is a safe cat is not exactly correct. That's a generalism, and in case your cats get out, it needs to spayed or neutered, with all shots.

An indoor cat who is fixed, with all shots and possible flea treatment is indeed, a safe cat. Shots and fixing are a definite issue.

Not just keeping them inside.

Hugs
    Saav
    http://www.petforums.com/showthread....of-Stony-River

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

"Adopt a kitty and save nine lives" was very cute line before you replaced it with a thread link. I absollutely love the second line and hope you never delete it.

Believe me, I totally understand there are cats who can't be kept inside every minute. The book will offer solutions to tricky problems that require letting a cat go in the backyard. Its emphasis is on free-roaming cats who go outside only because their humans are not educated about it. If a cat just needs to go potty outside and come right back in, that's one thing. Someone shutting a cat out because of behavior problems or manageable allergies is another animal.

Here's another side to outdoor cats, they roam neighbours' property and turn their yard into a giant litter box, and they hunt birds. I do not understand people who get a cat and then just let them roam the street, that is not responsible pet ownership no matter what the excuse. Cats should be kept inside, for their own protection as well as for the consideration of others. By the way I don't know if this has been mentioned but in winter some cats crawl into the underside of cars, another danger for cats.

Your first statement reminds me of a legal case. One lady in Ohio got in trouble after a neighbor's kids found cat urine and poop in their sandbox. That is an easy way to spread toxoplasmosis, so I also will be writing about outdoor cats being a danger to humans.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.