Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Birds are so cool!

Alpha, they are called Canada geese, named after a persion, not the country north of us. My newly married sister told me that. There are so many in Ohio local governments try to control their populations, but I love them. Once I wished I could take one of the goslings to a bird vet because it was limping as a flock of them crossed in front of Mom's car. Just wondering, why do they like crossing roads that are nowhere near bodies of water?
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Before I moved to Florida, my mom started with sunflower seeds for various species like cardinals, chickadees, and blue jays. I can't name all of them. After a couple finches planted sunflowers she switched to a finch feeder .Fun fact: Finches eat sunflowers upside down. After a while she decided to also feed hummingbirds and got a hummingbird feeder. Whoops: the hummingtbirdfs were afraid of the much bigger finches. She had to get rid of the funch feeder and only feed hummingbirds to get any. After hummingbirds started coming, she found a hummingbird tracker website where people report hummingbird sightings by species on a map during their biannual migrations to see when to begin and end her feeding routine each year. Only ruby-threated hummingbirds fly up to Ohio, and they come all the way from Mexico.

I hate geese, when I was little my grandmother had a nasty goose, thing used to chase me and bite me every chance he had, I can still see that long neck streached out with with wings flapping as he chased me. Now I don't like anything that flies at me. Bird feeders are not a good thing to have here, bears have been known to bend iron polls to get the feeder down to get the seed. And encouraging birds to come would drive the cats crazy. Just thinking about a goose is enough to give me nightmares, that miserable winged monster ruined my life
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Why did your grandma have a pet goose? There is a reason they are not on the legal pets list.

it wasn't a pet, they had a farm and it was just one of many animals there.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Alpha, they are called Canada geese, named after a persion, not the country north of us. My newly married sister told me that. There are so many in Ohio local governments try to control their populations, but I love them. Once I wished I could take one of the goslings to a bird vet because it was limping as a flock of them crossed in front of Mom's car. Just wondering, why do they like crossing roads that are nowhere near bodies of water?
    Not so, they are in fact named after the country. It's an urban legend that they were named after a so called John Canada. Their scientific name is branta canadensis
    meaning "black goose from Canada"

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post

They’re likey looking for suitable feeding grounds to support their nutritional needs. Geese are predominantly grass eaters and different species of grass have different nutritional values (the age of the grass can also effect its nutritional state). They’ll also be looking for things like berries and such to supplement their diets (often they’ll go to agricultural areas), and to find suitable food they sometimes need to travel out. Walking is less costly in terms of energy expenditure than flying so they choose to walk over flying for at least part of their search, they can also better examine the immediate area for appropriate foods. The trade-off for this, however, is increased risk of predation (cost-benefit trade-off). When by the water they’ll feed on aquatic plants but they need a range of foods to support themselves.
    Feel free to visit my website for information on Reptilian Care
    https://reptile-savvy.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mechi2 View Post
    Not so, they are in fact named after the country. It's an urban legend that they were named after a so called John Canada. Their scientific name is branta canadensis
    meaning "black goose from Canada"
    So why did a legend appear that they were named after some guy named John Canada?

A more common myth I heard was they originally did not live in the USA full-time and people tricked them into expanding their range by feedintg wild geese. Why would geese migrate only a few hundred miles?

Mechi is correct, if the goose was named after a person it would be given the name "Branta canadai" or "Branta canadaii" rather than "canadensis" to denote it's named after a person, but as it stands the name implies that it's named after a location.

Furthermore there is no reference to a "John Canada" in any scientific literature that I can see, the closest I got was a place called St. John's in Canada, so I question whether this person actually existed.

The Canada goose is originally a near arctic/ cold temperate species that has proven very adaptive to man-made areas such as agricultural land which the locality affords them good predatory defence, resulting in the species settling in areas they historically didn't live in, we even have them in England.

Myths and old wives tales crop up for all species and is just a reflection on the humans fondness for story telling, such as camels storing water in their humps, snakes being deaf, goldfish having a 5 second memory and cats having 9 lives, all are untrue.
    Feel free to visit my website for information on Reptilian Care
    https://reptile-savvy.weebly.com/

People just don't know what is actually inside a camel's hump or where a snake's ears are. I always heard camels having humps to carry water because very little H2O is available in the hot desert. Nobody seemed to know camels do not need a lot of water.

Back to birds, I read an article about one particular Catalina macaw that prompted me to look up the species on Wikipedia. I had never heard of them. Have you ever seen one?

Update: That bird froze under pressure and did not talk or fly. Many fans were mad at her.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.