Option on Rescue Behavior

Option on Rescue Behavior

Hello All! I adopted a 5 month old lab/ Borda collie mix form my local shelter. They had every little info about her past other then she was dropped off. She is an amazing and loving dog that has made my life so much better! The only thing I worry about is I strongly believe she was sexually assaulted at some point in her past.

I Saddly have several reasons to think this. For one below her tail down was 100% hairless like she was shaved/waxed ( I should note here the shelter did spay her), it has since grown in. Also she has daily/nightly bad dreams. She will whine and kick until I calm her down (often waking me). I do try to calm her without waking her up and most times it works. Lastly she hates belly rubs below her chest, also she is the first dog that, I have owned, that does not like her lower back (near her tail) scratched. She will only let me pet her upper back. I know the last one could just be a preference for her. Please let me know what you all think. Google was little help to me on the issue. I just want to help my fur baby be happy and care free!!! Thank you!!

you have no way of knowing what happened to her before you got her. All you can do is work with what you have. At 5 months old she is young enough to forget her past trama so in time she'll get better. Just be patient with her, praise her every time she does something good and she will come to trust you and realize you mean her no harm. She may never want belly rubs or petting near the rear of her back but in time as she settles in more and trusts you more things will work themselves out. Good luck with her
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank You. She does trust me so I can and do work with her. I just want the bad dreams to stop so she can sleep well at night. I have looked up tips to help her with the dreams. She at least is not waking up scared as much. I will continue to work with her and help her!!

just give her time, the bad memories will fade and she will be loyal and love you forever for saving her.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

How do you know she is actually having bad dreams and does not have restless legs syndrome?
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

She will whine, growl, and bite in her sleep. Also if I do nit calm her she will wake panting and shaking. That is why I think it is bad dreams. Lastly she will calm down if I gently pet her and say her name.

So keep petting her where she lies it! Also give her treats if she does not growl and whine in response to back scratches.

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Linda, good advice. Just give her time and love and her fears and pain from past abuse will subside. Good luck, glad she's in good hands now.

Same! Even in the shelter she was not well taken care of I feel. She was too young to leave the puppy room or play out side so she was stuck in a very small cage that she could not stand all the way up in D: But now she plays every night!!

She was too young to be separated from her mom.

Quote Originally Posted by IRWiesel View Post
    Same! Even in the shelter she was not well taken care of I feel. She was too young to leave the puppy room or play outside so she was stuck in a very small cage that she could not stand all the way up in D: But now she plays every night!!
    She was old enough to play outside . . . with other small dogs that can't hurt her.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.