Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Cool tricks

Haha that would be very helpful indeed. Gotta train my dog to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    Awwwww! Cute pic Alpha, when I get a dog I will train it that!
    Start with the simple tricks first. That one is pretty advanced.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Awwwww! Cute pic Alpha, when I get a dog I will train it that!
    Thanks Yeti! It's pretty easy to train a dog to do something like that. First you teach them to take something from your hand, like a wooden stick, but not a toy that they would play with. Put it in their mouth and say "take it". The dog should hold it for a few seconds on command. Then quickly say, (dog's name) "give", putting your hand by their mouth to take it. As soon as he released the object to give to you, reward him immedicately with a small treat, praise and tell him 'good boy'.

I used a small wooden dumbbell specifically meant to different types of dog training, so it was easy for the dog to hold in his mouth. Repeat this short lesson several times a day in the same way. Once the dog is taking it in his mouth and giving it back to you, then you can go to the next step. Put the dog in a Sit/Stay. Put the dumbbell on the floor a foot or two in front of him, command him to "take it", when he picks it up from the floor, tell him "give". When he gives it to you, immediate treat, praise, etc. Always making these lessons fun and positive.

When he's reliable with take it and give, then set a newspaper outside with a rubberband around it, a small section is enough to learn. Walk the dog out to it, saying, 'you're gonna go get the paper?'. When you get to the paper, tell him 'take it', walk him back into the house through the front door and tell him 'give'. When he gives it to you or drops it for you, immediately treat and praise. Used the leash until the training is complete and he gets the idea.

CatMom, that is not a very hard trick to teach your dog, It just takes practice.

Thanks Alpha for all the info!

CatMom, that is not a very hard trick to teach your dog, It just takes practice.

Thanks Alpha for all the info!
    All tricks take practice, but others don't require a two-step process.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Maybe not an actual trick, but a couple of our Schnauzers were trained to go out in the driveway and bring in the morning newspaper for us. This was my last boy Hans.

Nice photo! My dog did that before but he's too old now. He's not active anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Thanks Yeti! It's pretty easy to train a dog to do something like that. First you teach them to take something from your hand, like a wooden stick, but not a toy that they would play with. Put it in their mouth and say "take it". The dog should hold it for a few seconds on command. Then quickly say, (dog's name) "give", putting your hand by their mouth to take it. As soon as he released the object to give to you, reward him immedicately with a small treat, praise and tell him 'good boy'.

I used a small wooden dumbbell specifically meant to different types of dog training, so it was easy for the dog to hold in his mouth. Repeat this short lesson several times a day in the same way. Once the dog is taking it in his mouth and giving it back to you, then you can go to the next step. Put the dog in a Sit/Stay. Put the dumbbell on the floor a foot or two in front of him, command him to "take it", when he picks it up from the floor, tell him "give". When he gives it to you, immediate treat, praise, etc. Always making these lessons fun and positive.

When he's reliable with take it and give, then set a newspaper outside with a rubberband around it, a small section is enough to learn. Walk the dog out to it, saying, 'you're gonna go get the paper?'. When you get to the paper, tell him 'take it', walk him back into the house through the front door and tell him 'give'. When he gives it to you or drops it for you, immediately treat and praise. Used the leash until the training is complete and he gets the idea.
    Thanks for sharing alpha! I'd definitely get to train my dog to do that. What kind of leash do you use for training?

Just a typical 6' leash.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.