Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Behavior Issues With Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    the dog needs to be on a schedule, eat at the same time, take out at the same time ect. Put the food down, pick it up after 15 minutes and nothing else until the next meal. Take her out about ten to 15 minutes after eating. Teach her words like "go potty" and when she goes praise and a treat. If she doesn't go put her in the crate and when she fusses take her out, if she still won't go then back in the crate until she does. Take some of her poop outside and put her where you want her to go, this may stimulate her to go, again say "go potty" and if she goes, praise and treats. She'll catch on. By teaching her words like go potty or whatever words she wants this will teach her to go on command. She needs to be on a schedule, if she eats anytime she wants then she'll be pooping anytime she wants also
    Nice advice Linda! Thank you for this reply, it helps me also. God bless

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Your sister need to put more time into training the dog, I don't think she's trying hard enough at all, the dog should not be locked in the kitchen for so long. Is there a spot in the kitchen where the dog can to to the bathroom? Like newspapers or a pad? If the dog has been trained to urinate in a dedicated safe spot like this, then it can slowly be allowed "with close supervision" into one more room next to the kitchen. When not accidents happen in that room, then the dog gets the freedom of an additional room, until it's reliably house trained.

If there's no pads or papers, and the dog is messing anywhere at all in the kitchen, then no training has been done at all, in my opinion. Can you help with training the dog? It does sound like your sister's over her head and not putting in the effort. Next April is a long way off, but even if the dog has a doggy door in the new house, if it's not house trained it doesn't matter, it will come into the house through the door and urinate on the carpets. I guarantee your parents aren't going to welcome an untrained dog into their home.
    Kopi does have pee pads when she does not eat them. Sadly, my sister lives in TX while I am in WV so the only real thing I can do is buy toys ( I am doing that this week online and having them mail to her). Once Kopi is in WV I can and will help. My sister does say Kopi loves to be outside, she would be out most of the day if she was not in an apartment with a no yard chain rule. I know it would be best for Kopi to have an owner that can handle her. But if my sister takes her back there is an extremely high change of her getting put down due to lack of space. Even puppies only have until they are 5 months before they are also put down (as per my sister I hope it is not that bad). I have also asked if my sister knew anyone else that could keep her, but she knows no one that wants a dog.

I just want to say thank you for all the help. I have given my sister more ideas and told her again what she needs to try. I hope when I send her the toys and a new leash things will get better. But, if my sister is over her head or worse has given up then I am not sure what will happen to poor kopi. I just hope she can make it to WV, She can be an indoor/outdoor dog that will have more chances to run and play. The only other crazy thing my sister told me last night was Kopi seems to have multiple personalities. So far it is like she has 3 of them.

Her first one is the loving puppy my sister adopted that goes poddy outside and is well behaved all day. Her second one is supper aggressive and is uncontrollable, this side of her has no concept of no or what she is doing is bad. Also this one will bark and get very aggressive with random people/dogs. The last one is Kopi knows she is being bad and will take her self to her cage/kitchen for punishment unlike with the others, when she is like this she loves people and dogs. I am not sure how many mental issue dogs can/do have but this is odd and I have never heard of a dog act like this (unless sick). I hope she can go to the vet again soon so this can be looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by IRWiesel View Post
    Kopi does have pee pads when she does not eat them. Sadly, my sister lives in TX while I am in WV so the only real thing I can do is buy toys ( I am doing that this week online and having them mail to her). Once Kopi is in WV I can and will help. My sister does say Kopi loves to be outside, she would be out most of the day if she was not in an apartment with a no yard chain rule. I know it would be best for Kopi to have an owner that can handle her. But if my sister takes her back there is an extremely high change of her getting put down due to lack of space. Even puppies only have until they are 5 months before they are also put down (as per my sister I hope it is not that bad). I have also asked if my sister knew anyone else that could keep her, but she knows no one that wants a dog.
    I admire you for being so proactive in doing all you can to help this puppy and help your sister to cope with the behavioral issues and training. Glad there's people like you around who go that extra mile to correct a problematic situation that involves a dog. Good luck to you and your sister, and please keep us updated on any improvement.

Kopi does have pee pads when she does not eat them. Sadly, my sister lives in TX while I am in WV so the only real thing I can do is buy toys (I am doing that this week online and having them mail to her). Once Kopi is in WV I can and will help. My sister does say Kopi loves to be outside, she would be out most of the day if she was not in an apartment with a no yard chain rule. I know it would be best for Kopi to have an owner that can handle her. But if my sister takes her back there is an extremely high change of her getting put down due to lack of space. Even puppies only have until they are 5 months before they are also put down (as per my sister I hope it is not that bad). I have also asked if my sister knew anyone else that could keep her, but she knows no one that wants a dog.
    I understand the long-distance problem. However, the "no chain rule" is actually good because chaining dogs to trees all day is animal neglect and a nuisance to neighbors. The apartment manager wants to prevent that. When Kopi can get a house and yard, obviously you want to let her run around and play without any restrictions.

I have never heard of shelters basing their death row decisions on the puppy's age. Does she mean five months at the shelter?
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I understand the long-distance problem. However, the "no chain rule" is actually good because chaining dogs to trees all day is animal neglect and a nuisance to neighbors. The apartment manager wants to prevent that. When Kopi can get a house and yard, obviously you want to let her run around and play without any restrictions.

I have never heard of shelters basing their death row decisions on the puppy's age. Does she mean five months at the shelter?
    My sister told me it is based on age. Once a puppy is 5 months old they consider them an adult dog. Once they become an adult they have 2 weeks to find a home. I am not sure if it is true.

My sister told me it is based on age. Once a puppy is 5 months old they consider them an adult dog. Once they become an adult they have 2 weeks to find a home. I am not sure if it is true.
    Thqat is baloney. Dogs are still eating puppy food when they are 5 months old. They don't stop growing for another 6 mnonths.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.