Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Windows 10 vs. Apple/Mac computers

So why can't my mom change the appearance on Amazon to show 6 products in a row instead of 3 like I always do? I told her how to do it and she could not see what I was talking about. That might seem minor, but it proves I can do something she can't. On another website a menu she was supposed to click on did not exist. Sure, you can go to any website and use your favorite software programs, but when I say everything I mean everything.
    Last edited by CatMom1994; 04-29-2018 at 06:30 PM. Reason: clarity
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#idm26

Don't ask me how to build it, I just go along with what he tells me to do
    Thanks, I think I came across virtualbox a while back while looking into linux. So is the reason you use it is to keep your computer free from viruses?

CatMom, it sounds more like an issue with the browser rather than Mac, your Mom could download another browser, both firefox and chrome have a mac version, or your Mom could try updating the browser she's using.

I started using the virtual box because I had picked up a virus and my son in law got rid of it and thats when he put the first box in, now I just use it most of the time.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Mom uses Google Chrome, which is by far the most popular browser reportedly because it works the best. If she can't do something on what most people think is the most efficient browser that I can with Mozilla Firefox, which many people have complaind about having problems with, that logically should not be a browser issue. But because of the millions of ways to customize it, I will never move away from Firefox unless Chrome has a nearly identical type of add-on list.

stay with what you know and like, anything is easy if you know it
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

That is what I always did. My motto is, "If it's not broke, don't fix it." But there is just no way to make Mom stop pressuring me to consider shopping for an Apple computer.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    So why can't my mom change the appearance on Amazon to show 6 products in a row instead of 3 like I always do? I told her how to do it and she could not see what I was talking about. That might seem minor, but it proves I can do something she can't. On another website a menu she was supposed to click on did not exist. Sure, you can go to any website and use your favorite software programs, but when I say everything I mean everything.
    I can't specifically answer why you're mum is having particular problem (perhaps a browser issue??), but this is not a problem with Mac in general, I see 20 products per page on Amazon using my Mac, so your mums issue can't really be described as a pitfall of all Macs, it seems to be an isolated problem. But I'm not trying to argue your point away, there just seems to be discrepancy in the fact. In all my years of using Mac and Windows I've never noted what you're describing about differences to websites.

Macs can be advantageous for the right person but for day to day browsing there's no specific trait of one or the other that I can see that holds advantage. The choice between one or the other starts becoming more important when you use your computer for more specific purposes.
    Feel free to visit my website for information on Reptilian Care
    https://reptile-savvy.weebly.com/

In that case I have no reason to switch to Apple.

The biggest thing I need to upgrade is its sound system. Even at 100% volume, I can barely hear anything. The Best Buy clerk I talked to said HP is much better for sound, but the price difference is not worth it. So I am in the market for a better PC to watch videos online with. The main reason I don't watch many videos is if I did, they would be on mute.

Mom took me to Best Buy after a medical appointment} to tackle getting pictures off CDs and my computer while a 15% off coupon was still good. Thousands of pictures need to be moved and we had no idea what to look for. After Mom selected an external hard drive and decided to get two after being told they were $45 off, she told the clerk I will need a new computer this year. He helped me by saying a tower has no sound and will require buying speakers, but when he said it comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse, the conversation broke down. He implied I can only use what comes in the box, not my current keyboard and mouse, which is a deal-breaker for me, if I go with Apple. UGH!

The conclusion i got from the internet argument for so many years :

Window = for gaming
    Mac =for editing/graphic

Lets say if you say that, i want to buy Mac for gaming, then it will start a war for internet meme

I don't care about games. Better photography would be nice. But giving up the kind of keyboard and mouse I have now is not an option, so I need to make sure all Apple computers that match my other criteria have USB ports. Otherwise, I will panic about not being able to use the best computer for me for the next five years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.