Catnip is toxic to cats

Exclamation Catnip is toxic to cats

I was on the ASPCA website to see their list of plants that are poisonous to cats and read about them. Would you believe catnip was on the list? I have never heard of cats getting sick after eating it.

Toxicity: Toxic to Cats

Toxic Principles: Nepetalactone

Clinical Signs: Many cats love catnip, but it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. It makes some cats sedated and others stimulated.
    https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anima...-plants/catnip
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

I never used catnip for my cats, if a toy or scratcher comes with it, I throw it in the trash. Read many years ago a warning to never give it to a kitten, that was enough for me.

Catnip? We had a little catnip with our old cat Silky, and nothing happened to her.

Don't they mean if the cat ate it they would get sick? I've used catnip and had no negative results.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Yean, I'm sure cats need to eat a lot of it. Just a few nibbles will not hurt.

I’ve never used catnip on my cats personally, I’m a bit bewildered by the concept of wanting to chemically stimulate any animal to be honest, it’s not something I’ve ever personally wanted to do to my cats. It may be safe when used appropriately but the concept of it makes me uncomfortable.
    Feel free to visit my website for information on Reptilian Care
    https://reptile-savvy.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cat001 View Post
    I’ve never used catnip on my cats personally, I’m a bit bewildered by the concept of wanting to chemically stimulate any animal to be honest, it’s not something I’ve ever personally wanted to do to my cats. It may be safe when used appropriately but the concept of it makes me uncomfortable.
    I feel the same way after knowing it was like a hallucinogenic, it didn't make sense to me and many times I hear about people using it for their own amusement in watching the cat freak out. It's different with people, if they want to get high on something, they do it by choice and are aware of the feeling they will experience. The poor cat doesn't know what the heck is happening, hence the wild behavior.

My cat goes 'wilding' a couple of times a day, usually for 5-10 minutes in the morning and late evening, he runs around, sucks his ears back, big eyes, looking at things that aren't there. He doesn't need chemical stimulation to have cat fun.

People buy catnip because their cats love it. Not all cats who like it go wild. Emily never went crazy, but she rubbed her cheek on a catnip pillow.

I thought cat nip was only bad for kittens under a year O.O I give my cats cat nip once a year for Christmas since my Zanabi loves it! It seems to bring her out of her shell and more relaxed. Thank you for the info! I will have to reconsider giving it to them.

Of course the ASPCA is only warning people to let their cats eat catnip. They won't get physically sick just by going nuts over a toy.

If your cat eats a lot of catnip, it could vomit or get diarrhea, but all should get back to normal soon. I haven't really heard about catnip being fatal to cats in any way, but I prefer not to use it anyways. As I said, you should be very careful if you give it to your cat, but if you're only giving it to your cat occasionally and in small doses, all should be fine.

have been giving my cat catnip all her life! is this really true?! but even if its true the cat of mine seems fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrlara1990 View Post
    have been giving my cat catnip all her life! is this really true?! but even if its true the cat of mine seems fine though.
    Does your cat eat it? Obviously catnip is only toxic when it is ingested, not sniffed.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.