Google Chrome

Google Chrome

I finally decided to give Google Chrome another chance just to see if it can be customized the way I like it. What I could do so far was: change the default fonts, add a search engine (which was stupidly very difficult), import my Firefox bookmarks (and create a Bookmarks toolbar for them), change my startup page, mute a website, and see how to block advertisements and popups. But I could not see a way remove text on my bookmarks bar. Also, it seems impossible to open new tabs to the right. I have never seen any other browser that opens them to the left by default. Depsite changing the setting to open everything in new tabs, search results open in the same tab as my home page and search engine. I also set it up to have a home button. I did not see it on my toolbar.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

I have chrome but don't use it much, the tabs open to the right the same as in other browsers. The other day I updated firefox and now it's so slow, as if I'm using dialup internet, but after a couple of minutes it speeds up. Anyone know what the problem could be? I regret updating it.

I unsinstalled Firefox 57 because many addons were dropped, but only after learning there is a way to install an earlier version called Firefox 52 ESR. With that, I only get upgrades for later versions of 52 ESR instead of climbing up to 58 and beyond. It is not very good for what people want browsers to do, but at least it has all the features i need and want. As for speed, everything related to the Internet operates at a snail's pace with a dialup modem.

Quote Originally Posted by mechi2 View Post
    I have chrome but don't use it much, the tabs open to the right the same as in other browsers. The other day I updated firefox and now it's so slow, as if I'm using dialup internet, but after a couple of minutes it speeds up. Anyone know what the problem could be? I regret updating it.
    you can take it off your computer if you aren't happy with it. I had installed it once for about 15 minutes, knew right away I wasn't going to like it and got rid of it
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Me too Linda. I tried it twice before yesterday and thought it is the most boring browser ever.

I know I can uninstall it. I have been using firefox for years and have been happy with it for the most part. But with this latest update I have no idea what happened, it is so slow. I only update my browser when the reminders get annoying, I was at version 48 running with no problems and it was bugging me to update to 56. So I finally did thinking that was the latest version but soon as it installed it asked me to update again to 57 so I did thinking it might solve the slowness but now not only is it slow but the interface is slightly different than what I'm used to.

So what's ESR, a lighter version of firefox? I recently installed a browser called waterfox, it's identical to the previous version of firefox I was using and works fine.

Here you go: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/

You may get a dialog box asking you to upgrade to 52.7.4, which does not really change anything. I changed the Firefox update setting to Never update in the Options window to avoid getting requests for updates to 58.

Thanks CatMom! I installed the esr version and it looks just like it did before I did the update. I didn't have to uninstall 57, the esr version installed over it.

You're welcome. Did you figure out how to prevent Firefox from upgrading to 58?

Yeah, you go into "Options" click the "Advanced" tab and select "never check for updates". But that doesn't matter to me anymore since I'm now on the ESR version which I read doesn't do updates that often. I always have it selected to "check for updates but let me choose to install them".

I am playing it safe. No need to risk the possibility of opening Firefox one day and finding most of my addons are gone.

Mind me asking what sort of addons you use? Just curious, I've never used any addons except for the firefox ftp client I have on a netbook I use it for updating my website

Quote Originally Posted by mechi2 View Post
    Mind me asking what sort of addons you use? Just curious, I've never used any addons except for the firefox ftp client I have on a netbook I use it for updating my website
    Partial list:
    Classic Theme Restorer
    Classic Toolbar Buttons
    Adbock Ultimate
    Noia Scrollbars
    Tab Mix Plus
    Speed Start

Cool, I'll need to take a closer look at addons. Thanks for posting

There are tons of cool addons. That is why I can't make myself get aawy from Firefox, but there are times when it is annoying. It would be nice if other browsers had the same addons - especially Chrome, which badly needs Noia Scrollbars or a smilar feature.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.