Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rest Well My Dear Lilly

Rest Well My Dear Lilly

My precious Lilly passed early this morning. She was a big Boxer/German shepherd mix and she was my best friend for 11 years. She had some health issues toward the end and earlier today she collapsed, and her breathing was labored. She passed a few minutes after.

Rest well, my dear girl. I love you Lilly ... always and forever.
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Very sorry about this news, Saav. Goodbye dear Lilly.

I'm so sorry to here about this. Rest well dear Lilly.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Its never easy to lose a much loved animal.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

So sorry for your loss. RIP Lilly.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

What sad news Saav, I'm so sorry you lost your Lilly, typing through tears here....hugs my friend.

bridge stream.jpg

Rest in peace Lilly.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

I'm very sorry to hear about your Lilly. It's such a heartbreak to go through but you're not alone. I'm sure she knew how much you loved her.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Bless you all and thank you all.

Since Lilly passed, my husband has been greeting me at the door just like Lilly would and did.

Only Lilly couldn't open the door since she has no opposing thumbs.

Anyway, hubby has taken to greeting me and it is all sweet.

In remembrance of Lilly, at the time of her passing, she passed at home in my arms in her dog bed and went down so fast there was no time to call the vet. She was gone away from us.

Where can I post of Googling pet cremations and speaking to folks of this? Lilly left a good lesson upon her passing and she was so large we had tried to dig a hole and bury her, but as were are both disabled, this was very difficult and unable.

Should I speak of what we did here? It was wonderful. I do not mean to offend.

Hugs
    Saav

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Nice of your husband to be so thoughtful after your loss. Please tell us about your burial/cremation right here Saav.

I'm sure it helps ease the pain when your hubby greets you at the door. I know certain things trigger memories and can make you sad again. Dealing with our beloved pet's remains is just so difficult to discuss but sharing your story can help ease the pain of their loss.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Quote Originally Posted by Saav View Post
    Should I speak of what we did?
    Oh yes, please. What happened?

I thank you all, I am so sorry to be so late coming back but I do have stuff to say.

Lilly passed in my arms and I wasn't sure at first if she was really gone or comatose. I got up, grabbed my stethoscope (I am a former firefighter and EMT) and checked. There was no heartbeat and her eyes were open, so then I knew she was gone. She didn't move or react when I closed her eyes. My Lilly really was passed.

She is a big 85-pound Boxer/German Shepherd mix and I knew my hubby and I would have a hard time burying her in the yard, so I left her for a moment and Googled "pet cremation." It came up with our local funeral home and I called them. They had a real person answering the phone, no phone tree, no junk. He was very kind and helpful, and sent a guy with a van to pick her up. The cremation was only $185.00. Because she passed at 5:00am I had a choice, to have her picked up before business hours (8am to 6pm) or wait.

I didn't want my Lilly to just be here so I opted to have her taken as soon as possible. That was an extra $100.00. So the total cost was $285.00. They came around 6:30am to get her, and that gave the cats time to say their goodbyes. I had her wrapped in her blanket and uncovered her head so the cats could maybe understand. They all came around and sniffed at her, and I think they knew. My precious Pook stayed with her, curling up to Lilly.

The van came and we carried her to the van. They helped us put her in gently.

A nice lady called me and said she received Lilly and explained everything of cremation and made sure I was ok with it and she was very sweet. We went to pick her up on Friday, and she is in a very nice urn and the funeral home was just wonderful.

They made a noseprint and a pawprint of her on some heavy paper and a brochure of a place online where you can have the pawprints and noseprints on necklaces and other jewelry.

Anyway, I guess what I want to tell you is if it comes to this time of passing, call your local funeral home. And I would suggest to call them and understand all this before your precious pet passes. I also found out from our vet that if you call the vet when a pet passes, the vet charges a fee for calling the funeral home and making arrangements.

Our vet said the best way to take care of the pet's remains, even if he or she is put to sleep at the vet, if the precious pet is not too big, to take the pet home and call the funeral home. If you can handle the body.

We couldn't and this was the best way to take care of Lilly. We're both disabled vets and it was hard for us to even pick her up.

Anyway, please call your local funeral home and ask about arrangements for a pet who passes at home. I wish I had known all this before my Lilly passed.

Lilly came back in a pretty urn, her blanket was washed, and we got a nice sympathy card, hand-signed and all her noseprints and all.

Oh and I am sorry to say this, but sometimes during passing, a pet's bladder and bowels can evacuate. Lilly did pee a little in her blanket when she passed. This does happen sometimes and it's just a part of the process of passing.

I have spread the word of the funeral home to dog folks at work.

Unfortunately, yesterday, a resident's dog passed, and he was a Great Dane. He was huge and he passed like Lilly, at home. I had told her of the funeral home when we spoke after Lilly passed and now Henry is at the funeral home.

Rest in peace, Henry.

And Lilly lives on with what I can share.

Thank you my precious girl, Lilly, for teaching me what to do.

I'll see you both one day, and thank you Lilly.

Thank you for sharing what happened. Your instincts seem to have guided you well, and the people at that funeral home have class. I can only think, when it's time, may we all be lucky enough to cross the bridge as gracefully as Lilly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.