Dutch shepherd

Dutch shepherd

Dutch shepherds are cool dogs! I like them a lot because they are sleek and cute, but they also are good police dogs. I just went to a police dog presentation today and the dog was a Dutch Shepherd - German Shepherd mix. Does any one on this forum have this breed of dog? If so please post!

Thank you!

How do you know what a Dutch shepherd is like without seeing one? A German/Dutch mix does not count.
    Keep your cats safe during the holidays. They deserve a meowy Catmas.

Yetidog never said that he/she did not see one. Yeitdog said and I quote:

"Dutch shepherds are cool dogs! I like them a lot because they are sleek and cute, but they also are good police dogs. I just went to a police dog presentation today and the dog was a Dutch Shepherd - German Shepherd mix. Does any one on this forum have this breed of dog? If so please post!

Thank you!"

Half of the dog she saw today counts, LOL!!!!

I like them too!
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Thank you Furballs! CatMom, you can look on the internet and type in "Picture of Dutch shepherd".

I think I've seen one or two in the past Yeti, not sure though. They do seem like nice dogs. From the AKC, more on that breed here.

The Dutch Shepherd is a natural land-breed originating in The Netherlands. Long ago, shepherds and farmers needed a versatile dog, a “Jack-of-all-trades”, well-adapted to the harsh and sparse existence of the time.

In addition to its role as a shepherd’s dog, at the farm they kept the hens away from the kitchen garden, herded the cows together for milking, and pulled carts laden with milk or produce to market. They also watched the children and alerted the farmer if strangers entered the farmyard.

The first breed standard dates from June 12, 1898. In this original standard, any coat color was permitted, but by 1914, it was decided the Dutch Shepherd should only be brindle so as to distinguish it from other similar breeds of the time, the German Shepherd and Belgian Shepherd.

Around 1900, sheep flocks in The Netherlands, and the shepherd dogs which tended them, had been mostly replaced by industrialization, and the reclamation of land for other purposes. The versatile skills of the Dutch Shepherd made it suitable for new careers such as a police dog, search and rescue, and guide dog for the blind. The breed has retained its original herding ability, and is still used for this purpose.

Thanks for all the info Alpha!

You're welcome Yeti.

Oh, I like the picture too.

There's a few more pictures on that website, you have to click the arrow to view them, different colors there.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.