The Transcendent Properties Of Pineapple

The Transcendent Properties Of Pineapple

Snowy Dog's second annual vaccination day was coming up on the calendar and posed a problem. His first vaccinations were done before he was badly abused by his previous owner and could still ride the motorcycle, but that has been impossible for a long time. How to do the vaccination.

The vet could come near my house, but this didn't seem like a good idea, because anywhere on our walk route, Snowy would consider that his known territory and would not take to interacting with a stranger trying to poke him with a needle. A taxi was a no go. No local taxi driver will take any dog, except maybe a tiny size dog. I didn't know anyone with a truck or pickup, and a pickup seemed dangerous because Snowy might well panic and jump, even if I was holding him tight.

Weeks and weeks went by and no closer to a solution. Then last week I stopped as I usually do to get some cut pineapple from a little roadside pineapple stand I usually go to on the way to the grocery store. They are a husband and wife team running a little stand, and that day I noticed a truck parked next to their stand that I hadn't seen before, the truck they use to transport pineapples. It looked similar to this:

That's it! I thought. Snowy won't be able to jump out. You have to ask them! So even though I didn't really know these people, I explained the situation, and eventually the husband kindly agreed to rendezvous on Snowy's walking route and I would try to get Snowy in the truck so he could drive us to the vet for the two shots and back again afterwards.

Today at 10:00 am was the agreed rendezvous time, and I knew a whole lot of things could go wrong. The pineapple guy might not understand the importance of being on time. Snowy won't wait around for more than a minute or so before getting agitated and having to move on. I might not be able to get Snowy and myself onto the truck without help, and no one else can touch Snowy. A big public scene could ensue. Snowy might bite, or completely refuse to be managed. Even if we could get on the truck, Snowy might still try to clamor up and over the rails. Or he might panic and bite me. If we got to the clinic, Snowy might get aggressive when we tried to give him the shots. He might refuse to be put back up on the truck to go home. At any point in the whole process, he could decide to overcome me (Snowy is a large 25 kg / 55 lb dog) and force me to drop the leash, setting him off running on possibly another biting spree like the one that indirectly brought him to me.

So this morning I walked with Snowy on schedule to the rendezvous point, telling him he had a Special Mission today, and thankfully the truck was there. I tried to lift Snowy onto the truck bed, but he was not at all happy about it, and quickly braced himself and tried to back out, refusing to go forward. Since I am still behind him, I can only pull forward on his harness from above. But that means he is in exactly the right position to back out of his harness. He yells once and snaps once, and gets back on the ground. I ask the driver to meet us again just a little way down the road.

That second time I am able to get Snowy back on the bed of the truck and then I quickly close the back gate of the truck, even though I am still on the ground. Then while Snowy is starting to panic again, I somehow climb up and over the back railing (not present in the above internet picture). I grabbed fast to Snowy and quickly gave the driver, waiting at the wheel, a thumbs up. He right away hit the gas, and off we went.

Thankfully at this point dogdiggity kicked in. What do you picture when you imagine a dog riding in a pickup with the wind blowing in his face? Well, that's exactly what happened. After a little while Snowy decided, hey this isn't so bad, and he sat still next to me, tentatively enjoying the wind and the scenery whizzing by. When we got inside the clinic, he seemed to recognize it from his trip there a year ago, and even though he growled at the clinic staff, his body language also suggested he was having a surprisingly good time. I lifted him up and the doctor quickly gave him his two shots from behind us. Getting Snowy back in the truck for the trip home was a little smoother than before, and he again seemed to enjoy the ride.

So it all worked. The power of pineapple was with us.

Wow, that sounds great DogForce, so happy the man who owned the pineapple truck was willing to help you and Snowy out. Perfect solution, and such a big plus that Snowy actually seemed to enjoy himself. Do you have a muzzle for when you need to take him out somewhere? That would make it a little easier I think for next time around.

Glad everything worked out so well with Snowy. Good thinking on this one!
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Thanks guys. Yes, I brought a muzzle that fits him with us in my knapsack, but he has only worn it briefly a few times before, because unfortunately it freaks him out, like so many things. He had his (main) harness and leash on, as well as his (backup) collar chain, a mode we are both used to walking in twice every day, so I brought the muzzle as a contingency in case we got into a fix that it might help get us out of.

That was brilliant! Well done!
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

"But, which is the way back to the vet? I can't go the way I came."

"No, that's true. The only person who might know would be the great and wonderful Pineapple Man himself."

"The Pineapple Man? Is he good or is he wicked?"

"Oh, very good, but very mysterious."

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.