Hills prescription dry food for urinary problems

Hills prescription dry food for urinary problems

my cat recently developed a urethra blockage , the vet put a catheter to clean out the blockage , he recommended hills c/d prescription for uniary problems dry cat food , i have read some pretty bad reviews on this food , does any one have a better suggestion ?

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting. What is your cat's name?

I will never understand why vets recommend dry food for urinary problems. The most important ingredient (besides real meat, of course) is water, especially for cats with certain problems such as urinary tract infections. Cats do not have a natural thirst drive because of their desert ancestry (domestic cats originated from African wildcats, who could only get water from their prey). So when a cat needs more water than usual, the only way to make up for it is feed wet food, which is approximately 70% liquid (recipes vary). In short, no matter what is on the label, kibbles are a big bad NO-NO for your cat. My vet agrees; he told me to feed my cat wet food at least once a day her entire life so she will be willing to eat it if something happens that requires eating an all-wet diet.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

the prescription diet is ok to get her over her problem, its not made to be a permanent food source. Wet food is better for cats, I feed wet and also halo dry but I have a fountain that they drink out of as well. Mine do drink a lot as I'm always refreshing the water a couple of times a day
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Hill's C/D is not good short-term either IMO.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

its a bland food to settle the stomach and give her nutrition until she is able to eat regular food again. Its not a good food but it serves its purpose then can go back to a regular diet. But if stones are the problem she should be fed strictly wet food. Put a tiny bit of salt in it to encourage her to drink, the problem is she needs more fluid rather it be water of broth something wet
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

My Jake had 2 blockages in the past and has been on Royal Canin Urinary SO Canned cat food for years. That food has worked well and although it's canned I still add a bit of water to it. Plus I give him a Only Natural Pet UT Balance Cat Chewable and senior chewable vitamin every day plus a Dasaquin capsule every other day. Keeping stress down and showering him with extra affection helps too.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.