My dog wont stop barking NEED help

Exclamation My dog wont stop barking NEED help

Hello ,
    I have a German Shep, shes about 4 years old now. She's mostly been an indoor dog but loves being outside , we have moved now to a new house with a lot of property.
    We had a nice fenced off area put in with lots of room for her and our other dog (8 year old lab) to run around and enjoy being outside in the shade .

Our problems start at night mostly ever since putting them outside she barks all night long , literally she gets a hoarse voice by morning and is extremely tired. We are at a lose for what we can do to help calm her, our house is smaller now and there really isn't any where inside for her to stay. We are open to hearing some thoughts and ideas so we can help her, we just think that she needs constant human interaction (she use to stare all the time at us in the house for hours and hours) even after playing with her.

Thank you for time.

Hi Alzi- Honestly it seems pretty clear that your girl needs a place to sleep inside. Sleeping outside is a huge change from sleeping inside, and I've never met a dog that really likes to sleep outside, certainly not all night. The barking seems to be a pretty transparent, and reasonable, message that she shouldn't be sleeping outside. Dogs enjoying the outdoors in the daytime is a different thing. Four years of sleeping indoors, and now locked out every night? I'd be barking too. I hear you when you say your house is small, but if I can fit five dogs (four medium, one large) in my tiny, tiny house at night (and the three males needing to be separated from each other at all times), then surely you can find a way. :- ) You can do it.

I agree with Dog Force, there's room even in an apartment for two dogs to sleep at night, I'd do the right thing and bring them inside.

I also agree with dog force, dogs are pack animals and they want to be with their pack, you are their pack. Dogs especially shepherds want to be inside with you. They are domesticated animals and banishing them to the yard 24/7 is cruel. Why do you have a dog to leave it outside by itself all the time? You'd better rethink your position before you start getting complaints about barking dogs keeping everyone awake all night. Or even worse someone fed up with it could harm them. The house didn't get any smaller since you've had the dogs and you knew the size when you got the house. You are not being fair to the dogs and your neighbors aren't going to appreciate you or the dogs if you continue to let them bark all night. What do you plan to do with them when its to hot or to cold or raining or snowing?
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you for the replies so far. The neighbors are already yelling at her. She was a shelter dog she seems to think its ok for her to get on the furniture which is being destroyed not to mention we cannot get the hair out of it. We have tried disciplining her for getting on the couch but now she does it when nobody is around.. (camera). aside from that the house is pier and beam and she wonders ALL night and keeps everyone awake, she just hasn't adjusted at all to the new house. I know these things seem petty , she is my companion and I do as much as I can running around with her playing with her but she wants constant attention and if she doesn't get it she acts out. She also has an obsession with our cats litter box she will go to it and dig out all the poop either eating it or just making a mess. When it was just me and her it was easier but I now am married with 2 kids , 3 cats and another dog there is just not much room at all nor a safe place to keep her at night where she isn't getting into anything. I work nights and I am guilty of bringing her inside during the day for a little bit so she can just be around me but it doesn't work when everyone is home.

I hope you all don't see me as a horrible person im really not I love my animals and this is the reason im here to find a solution to making her a little happier.

I don't think you are a horrible person but I do think you are misguided in caring for a shepherd. I've had shepherds for over 40 years and other than aggression towards people I don't have any behavior problems. You dog needs training, she needs to learn the word no and leave it. Dogs don't self train, you need to put in the time and effort to teach her what you want her to do. Throwing her outside is not the answer as you've seen. You are only going to accomplish in making her neurotic. If you put the time and effort into training her she'll be the best dog you could ever want. If you don't know how to train her hire a trainer, let him or her show you what needs to be done. They are never to old to learn. Shepherds are very smart, she will learn quickly. If you don't train her she will only get worse and she'll wind up at the pound or worse. Only you can change the situation and now is the time to do it.

As far as getting on the couch, so what, put a blanket over the couch to catch the hair, everything is doable, shepherds shed all year and blow their coat twice a year so the hair is a never ending battle. If you want a pet then treat her like a pet, bring her in and let her sleep on the couch if she wants to, end of your problem barking.
    Last edited by linda2147; 05-17-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I would recommend surrendering your dog(s) to a NO-KILL shelter, or a German Shepherd rescue organization. People here can help locate one.

Quote Originally Posted by alzi View Post
    Thank you for the replies so far. The neighbors are already yelling at her. She was a shelter dog she seems to think its ok for her to get on the furniture which is being destroyed not to mention we cannot get the hair out of it. We have tried disciplining her for getting on the couch but now she does it when nobody is around.. (camera). aside from that the house is pier and beam and she wonders ALL night and keeps everyone awake, she just hasn't adjusted at all to the new house. I know these things seem petty , she is my companion and I do as much as I can running around with her playing with her but she wants constant attention and if she doesn't get it she acts out. She also has an obsession with our cats litter box she will go to it and dig out all the poop either eating it or just making a mess. When it was just me and her it was easier but I now am married with 2 kids , 3 cats and another dog there is just not much room at all nor a safe place to keep her at night where she isn't getting into anything. I work nights and I am guilty of bringing her inside during the day for a little bit so she can just be around me but it doesn't work when everyone is home.
    It sounds like she needs some gentle training and guidance. If she's having trouble adjusting to the new house, you need to help her and get her through it until she is comfortable. She needs to socialize with you and your family, and also be exercised with walks or runs or playtime, just putting her in the yard is not enough to keep her physically and mentally fit. It seems all the problems you're having with her can be remedied with a little effort on your part, how about placing the litter box where she can't get to it? A small baby gate across the doorway of a room will allow the cats to go in and out and keep the dogs out. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Maybe you can try some product such as dog muzzle or bark collar? Pet just like a kid, they can not express by word, they only can barking. They don't know barking in wrong time is a wrong thing, so pay more attention and patience to teach your baby.

Anti Barking Devices are a great way to stop your dog from barking - people see them as inhumane however there are some that come without a collar and sit on your unit...
    There is so much that you can do it just requires patience and time but an Anti bark Device will reduce the time training your dog...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.