Just A Story About My Lilly

Just A Story About My Lilly

Lilly went to the Bridge on Tuesday, May 8. She was 11 years old and she was my constant companion.

A few years ago, it was spring and I went to the grocery store and had her with me in the car. I left the car running with the A/C on and all windows cracked, and her water bowl in the passenger side floorboard, so she was safe, not overheated, or otherwise mistreated. I love my Lilly (still) and I would never hurt her.

I just went in to pick up a few things, and when I came out, there were some people gathered around my car and I heard sirens.

My first thought was, "Oh God, some idiot stuck his arm through the window and she bit him!!"

That wasn't it. An elderly man fell between my car and the truck parked next to mine, and he broke his hip and couldn't get up. Lilly barked and howled up a storm and attracted the attention of some folks who came to see what was happening. They called 911 for the man, and as soon as these people got there to tend to the man, Lilly quit barking.

They all said Lilly was howling and barking like she was being abused or something, When the ambulance arrived, the store manager came out and heard that Lilly had barked and howled to get attention and he asked us, "Whose dog is this?"

I said, "She's mine."

The ambulance came and got the man and when it was over, the store manager told me to go back in and get the biggest, fattest steak I could find and some dog toys for her ... for free. He said, "Tell the cashier ****** told you to."

I did. The cashier said "Okay," and I walked out with a nice rib eye steak and two dog toys.

We had meatloaf that evening, but Lilly got the steak and her toys. Happy day!

I got the man's name and found out later he had a hip replacement and was doing fine.

Lilly, you are the best!
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Wonderful story, Lilly was a good girl and she helped that poor man get aid. So nice of the store clerk too to give her some steak and toys.

So sorry you lost her. Thank you for sharing this.

Ha! Great story. Lilly saved the day.

I love that story!
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Awesome story! Lilly was a heroine that day.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

That was not the outcome I expected. Lilly really saved the day! Thanks for sharing more about her
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.