Dove nest!

Talking Dove nest!

A few days ago I notice a nest in one of my trees, I carefully climbed the tree to see the nest. And there was a cute little dove siting on her nest! She was so pretty and I think she had two white eggs! She has sat there for about three days and she is still sitting there now! I can not wait untill the eggs hatch! I will see them learn to fly and see the mother and father feed them!

I will give you an up date when they hatch!

That's cool, I know how excited you must be, a few years ago a robin decided to build its nest on top of the clothes pin box that's on our balcony. She had 3 babies.

I just spotted a robin that has a nest in a different tree! Now I have two nests to watch!

Looking forward to good news Yeti! We have a lot of birds nesting this time of year, but many nests are high in the trees, so I don't look into them. Some birds fight during nesting time, the larger Magpies and crows will dominate the Mourning Doves and Robin Redbreasts. It's bittersweet to watch the process, always wishful that all the birds hatch and survive.

I have a few squirrels around my house and I just saw one today creeping up on the dove's nest!!!!! It is going to eat the eggs, what can I do about that?

I don't know what can be done without disturbing the mother bird and the nest. We have a lot of squirrels too, and the larger birds like the Magpies will team up chase the squirrels away, I've seen that many times.

I guess there are some ways to make a guard using sheet metal or plastic, but I don't know how it would work with your tree, or if would work at all. More here.

Thank you.

Gone!

(Update) There was a very windy storm a few days ago and when I checked the nest it was ruined, the mother was gone and the eggs were gone. Today I found a crushed egg near the tree. Now I will not see the baby birds hatch.
    I love pets and I love Silky!

Sorry Yeti, I've seen that many times in my yard over the years, sometimes they are the beautiful blue eggs from the Robin Red Breast, crushed on the ground. It's just the way of Mother Nature, it could be heavy winds, a hailstorm, an upset caused by a squirrel or larger bird....so many things may happen. We are blessed to see the young ones survive and fly off on their own.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.