Florida teacher filmed making students drown raccoons and opossum in class

Florida teacher filmed making students drown raccoons and opossum in class

By Kristine Phillips

The Washington Post
    May 17, 2018

A Florida teacher was placed on administrative leave after school officials were told that he had students help him drown wild raccoons during class.

A 14-second video published by CBS affiliate WKMG showed a group of students filling a tub of water using a hose and later keeping a trapped raccoon submerged. A mother told the TV station that her son, who shot the video, came home upset about what happened to the raccoons, including the one seen in the video, inside a metal wire trap.

The animals had reportedly been killing chickens that the students were raising for class.

Two raccoons and an opossum were killed Monday at Forest High School in Ocala, Fla., according to the mother, whom the station did not identify.

The teacher, Dewie Brewton, was placed on paid administrative leave Tuesday while the school investigates, said Kevin Christian, spokesman for Marion County Public Schools. Christian said he couldn’t comment further, saying only that Brewton was placed on leave as part of standard protocol and that district officials did not have previous problems with Brewton in the 34 years he has worked on and off for the district.

In a subsequent statement, the district said it is investigating, as are two state agencies — but that “regardless of the investigative outcomes, Superintendent Dr. Heidi Maier is recommending termination.”

“Marion County Public Schools is appalled at the actions of an agri-science teacher accused of killing nuisance animals in front of students earlier this week,” the statement read. “Marion County’s education standards – in fact, Florida’s education standards — do not include activities for the destruction of live animals, nuisance or not. While law enforcement determines whether this teacher’s actions were legal or not, his actions before students are entirely unacceptable and cause us great concern.”

The article continues at the link below, but frankly I wouldn't recommend reading it. What was done to the animals is even more gruesome than the basic information reported above, and the written article continues, with the disgusting stomach turning details. I certainly didn't watch the video.

Warning: Very graphic writing and video below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.17642b709588
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 05-18-2018 at 10:06 PM.

What is that P.O.S. doing anywhere near schoolchildren? Belongs behind bars for a good ten years plus.

With sickos like this teaching the kids, this society will certainly go to hell.....fast.

Why didn't they just fire Dewie Brewrton immediately? He should be banned from teaching anywhere in Florida.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Why would someone do that?

I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    Why would someone do that?
    Why does anyone do anything cruel to animals? You don't want to read other stupid stuff I have read about online.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Why does anyone do anything cruel to animals? You don't want to read other stupid stuff I have read about online.

Well I still don't like it.

Nobody likes it except the stupid teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    the stupid teacher
    That's no teacher. That's an evil slimeball.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    That's no teacher. That's an evil slimeball.
    LOL That's an new word for me. I learned to call evil people dirtbags.

that creep should never teach anywhere again, plus should be charged with animal cruelty, pay a huge fine and do jail time. Or have some animal lovers meet him in a dark alley and give him the beating he deserves.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Who is he to judge whether raccoons are a "nuisance" anyway? It was his fault if he did not like what they were doing.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.