Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Favorite cats breeds?

That is pretty clear from your 2013 cat show gallery Alpha. Did you pet them or just take pictures?
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Mostly photos, just petted the Maine Coon briefly toward the end of the show, it's not common to pet a show cat (or dog) who is about to be judged.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I like the Manx and Maine Coon too Yeti!

It seems like we are the same with a lot of stuff!
    I love pets and I love Silky!

Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    It seems like we are the same with a lot of stuff!
    That's true Yeti, they are nice cats though! The Somali is another beautiful breed, in my opinion.

Wow! So cute and pretty!
    I love pets and I love Silky!

When choosing a favorite breed, the whole cat matters. Many breeds are pretty but don't have the best temperament (for example, you can't keep any Abyssinian on your lap). I love ASH cats not only for their beauty, but also their health, lifespan, and lack of breed-related medical problems (such as Munchkin syndrome).

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Many breeds are pretty but don't have the best temperament (for example, you can't keep any Abyssinian on your lap).
    I disagree, there are Abyssinians that are very affectionate, although they may prefer only one person in the household. With all breeds you'll find unique personalities, one American Shorthair may be very affectionate and another may be a loner and just eat his food and not show love or affection. http://www.petforums.com/showthread....light=abyssian

It makes me wonder why official breed descriptions have to include specific purrsonalities.

I think they just want to give a generalization to people, so they can get an idea of how that breed might be. For example, I think a Bengal is much more active and wilder than a Himalayan would be. Just like with dogs, Labrador Retrievers are generally friendly and good with kids, but there are some individual Labs that are more aggressive or short tempered around loud kids or strangers at the door.

t is not the same with cats and dogs. How many cat breeds are grouped as workers, companions, etc.? I think cat breeders just want to make each kitten's behavior more predictable.

So how many breeds of cats are there? Is it the same as with dogs where in some countries a breed is officially recognized and in another country it's not?

Quote Originally Posted by mechi2 View Post
    So how many breeds of cats are there? Is it the same as with dogs where in some countries a breed is officially recognized and in another country it's not?
    Not only is cat breed recognition different around the world, but there are disagreements among them within countries. For example, the Cat Fanciers Association is just starting to recognize Bengals as an experimental breed even though The International Cat Association has been showing them for decades. This is because the organizations differ in their genetic regulations, including the status of hybrid cats. (Bengals got their wild appearance and behavior from an Asian leopard.) At the international level, differences include allowances for Manxes with tails. The CFA and TICA ban it, but cat registries in Europe do not.

Definitely Bengals!
    I love their lean and muscular body combined with great intelligence and confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by DolittleApprentice View Post
    Definitely Bengals!
    I love their lean and muscular body combined with great intelligence and confidence.
    check out my album, I have a few pictures of my two bengals out there.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    check out my album. I have a few pictures of my two Bengals out there.
    Every time I see one of those pictures at the top of the forum index I click on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.