Any tip for fostering a cat and her kittens?

Any tip for fostering a cat and her kittens?

Hey all,

I am trying to find a cat to foster, a cat and her kittens, I will do it some time this summer. I have done this one time before and I am wondering if anyone has ever done this and if they can give me any new tips?

Thanks
    I love pets and I love Silky!

That's great! I've never done that but if I find some new tips I'll pass them on to you.

Thanks Esme!

Esme is the perfect person to give you some guidance, she has a lot of experience with caring for cats and kittens, she also has a warm kind heart.

I think it is great that you want to foster a cat family! For a long time I have wanted to foster a litter of kittens, but several things are preventing that from happening.

Usually when people do this, the kittens are too young to leave their mothers and when the they are old enough, all of the cats are taken to a shelter for adoption.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Hello,

When my mama cat had her kittens I did the following for her/kittens. I should note she was an extremely good mom (i.e. she fed them, cleaned them, and kept them warm). Also my mama cat trusted me and trusted I would not hurt her/ her kittens:

For the kittens
    -I did not pick them up but once a week (until 5-6 weeks then I felt better playing/ picking them up) to check for broken toes and tails as they can very easily happen. if they are new born (i.e less then 3 weeks) I would not touch them more then needed as mom may not like that.
    -I did check on them daily (often while making sure the big nesting box was clean/warm). Also do not for get to check on mom!
    -I frequently (every 2-3 hours) made sure all kittens where warm and had full belly's. My mama rejected one of her kittens (with in seconds of being born). At the time I did not know it would have been better to hand raise the new born kitten, he died the next day. However, it is not uncommon for kittens at are under 3 weeks to "randomly die". Even if I had taken him to the vet the day he was born there is nothing that could have been done (other then feeding/keeping warm). However I learned and her other 2 are still doing wonderful to this day! (they are now 3 years).
    -If you cannot find a kitten heating pad (they sale them at the pet sore. Also note a human one on low is still to hot as per my vet). You can fill up an old coke bottle (12- 18 oz) with hot water and wrap them in a towel before placing in the nesting box. My mama loved it when I re-filled them with hot water, she would put her back to them and fall asleep in the newly warmed box.
    -The first 3 days I did not clean out the nesting box as I read not to from many sites/ as per vet advice. But on the 4th day I did change the sheets and make the nesting box much cleaner for her.
    -Once the kittens where old enough I left canned/dry food for them to eat. The mom showed them so it was easy for me.
    -I also bought a litter box with a ramp so the young kittens could use it when ready. I found getting a kitten litter also helped them make the choice.
    -As far as toys for the young kittens once they could play I got them soft ball cat toys (no catnip so young). They loved the simple toys and I got "hard toys" as they got bigger.
    -Lastly I took them to the vet every few weeks (as per my vets request) just so I knew they where healthy and happy!

For Mom
    -I made sure the mom had all she needed (her liter box, food, and water) all with in 3 feet of the nesting box so she did not have to leave her kittens for long.
    -I made sure mom was loved and cared for so she was as stress free as possible!
    -I gave her as much space as she wanted but at times my cat would want me to follow her to sit next to the box. Not sure why but she would look at me and purr and seemed happy.

I hope this helps! I am by no means an expert on new born kitten care. But when I found out my newly adopted 2 year old cat was going to have a litter (to no fault on my part) I told her she is going to have them even though the vet could have ended it for me. I do want to make it clear my cat trusted me 100% by the time she had her kittens. She trusted me so much that she would sleep on my lap and let me feel them moving. I wish I had the space to foster a queen cat but I have a full house so it would not be calm for them. Let me know if I can help any more!!

That is a great post IRW. The only confusing part is helping kittens make a choice with kitten litter. What does the litter type have to do with the food they want to eat? Am I missing something?

You did a great job, but also were lucky to have such a trusting mama cat. I read many queens have the maternal instinct to become aggressive when people interfere with their kitten care.

Thank you so much IRW!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Esme is the perfect person to give you some guidance, she has a lot of experience with caring for cats and kittens, she also has a warm kind heart.
    Thank you so much my friend! My problem is giving them back though. Like when the mother cat and kittens came into our backyard in 2016. Hubby and I had intended to care for the 4 kittens we took in and then finding homes for them. Well as you all know we decided to keep them. We ended up with our all time high of 11 cats (indoor only of course) household. But the kittens took to our senior cats and vice versa so I never looked back.

That is great Esme. I know being a "foster failure" is common for kittens.

Age doesn't matter. I just can't give them up so I applaud those who can foster.

I am sorry. To clear things up. I used a kitten litter so when the time came the sent helped the babies know where to go!

I read the same thing about queens so I was very consurned about her attacking me, or moving her babies so I could not keep an eye on them.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.