Labrador Retriver Brain Tumor

Labrador Retriver Brain Tumor

Hi,

Iím new here. My dog Cotton who is 10 was diagnosed with a brain tumor in late February. When he was diagnosed he was running into walls, not eating , would walk around in circles. He is on predizone, it makes him drink a lot and pee everywhere, he isnít running into walls and walking in circles anymore. I guess Iím asking if anyone is familiar with this? I LOVE my dog but itís hard to deal with, Iím not sure if he is in pain. He just lays around, eats, steals the kids food. He was always VERY lively until he went down hill. He loved going outside , now hates it. I have 2 very small kids and I just donít know what to tell them. Itís hard to watch him just exist. Any advice would help. Thanks in Advance

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm truly sorry to hear about your Cotton, I don't have any experience with brain tumors, but I've had a couple of dogs who had cancer and other serious illnesses in their later years, and it is heartbreaking to watch them in decline. I know it's hard to deal with, and my heart goes out to you.

My only advice is to give him lots of love and be there for him during this difficult time. I know the Prednisone is like a miracle drug, I've had to use it on my dogs over the years....but it doesn't cure unfortunately. Your Cotton is afraid and needs your emotional support, maybe that's why he doesn't want to go outside anymore. Time is precious now, make the best of it for the both of you.

Thank you! That is so true, I will focus more on the cuddles because time is precious.

You're very welcome. I wish I had some advice that would help his medical condition. Please keep us updated as to how he's doing, I think a lot of us have been where you are right now, I know I have been.....hugs to you both.

Broccoli is one of the best cancer fighting vegetables, besides having many other health benefits. It should be cooked to avoid thyroid issues. Dogs that won't eat broccoli suddenly will eat broccoli (and other vegetables) if it is cut into smallish pieces and stir fried in an (unrinsed) pan that just stir fried some chicken or other meat. (I use extra light olive oil for stir frying.) The flavor of the meat stays in the pan and transfers to the vegetables. Mix the broccoli so prepared with a dog's regular food and suddenly it is appealing. Or you can just stir fry it directly with meat, but you don't have to.

Cancer has been reversed in people switching to a vegan diet, but as an ex-vegan who had a very bad experience, I personally do not recommend veganism for people and definitely not for dogs. But cooked broccoli (and other vegetables) added to a dog's regular food can be a force for good, in any state of health or illness. My dogs like broccoli, green peppers, napa cabbage, and carrots stir fried together in this way every day, mixed with their kibble and meat. Personally I trialed and eventually rejected zucchini and snap peas, because those seemed to bring out aggression in my male dogs. (Of course never feed onions to a dog.)

Sorry that you and your guy are having to go through this. If nothing else, feeding broccoli could help reduce feelings of powerlessness.

Sending positive vibes your way.

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Alpha. Nobody knows how much time is left to pet, cuddle, and play with Cotton. Is he small enough to hold and put on your lap? Any way you can show him a lot of love will help both of you.

Prednisone is great for relieving symptoms, but should not be given to dogs forever. Long-term, it does more harm than good, especially at high doses. The vet needs to medically treat the cancer.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.