Incontinence in Cats

Incontinence in Cats

My little Saav was asleep, and I petted her then I realized my hand was wet and with feces under her tail. This happened about a week before Lilly passed. I ran Saav to the vet for tests. She has IBS, her kidneys aren't good, her liver is failing, and all we can do is give her meds and make life easier for her.

We bought a dog bed for her and put it in the garage with those adult incontinent mattress pads all the way to the litterbox. She has her own food and water and she still comes in and out but sometimes has little "accidents" on the pads.

Now before anyone starts in on me about the garage, it is heated and air-conditioned just like our house. I would never subject my pets to any extreme temps.

Saav still comes in for other food and treats, as we have a dog door between the kitchen and garage, and every 6 weeks or so we take her to the vet for testing, monitoring, and a shot. So far so good, she has only had two "accidents" on the pads, and never in the house.

If you notice accidents in older pets, please, please, please take your pet to the vet right away. Your vet will help you with this. Please do not Google junk and go that way; there's too much trash out there. "Miracle cures" are stupid and will only harm your pet.

Saav is much more comfortable now and eating well. We're hoping she will be with us much longer.

Hugs

Saav
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Very sorry to hear about your Saav, she is in poor health, that's for sure. I know you deeply love animals and only give your pets the best of care, it's nice that you have a garage that has heating and air, that makes it nice. A dog I had years ago had urinary incontinence when he was old and suffering from other conditions like vestibular disease, mild stroke, kidney problems. Luckily it wasn't too bad and we were able to work around it.

I can imaging how worried you are about your girl, especially after losing your Lilly. Hugs to both of you my friend.

Huge to you for going through this ordeal to take care of a beloved cat. Many people would have given their cats away or sent them to the Rainbow Bridge too soon. Saav is lucky to have a garage with heating and air conditioning as most garages are not ventilated for obvious reasons.

I have dealt with CRF three times. None of my cats were incontinent, but it was very hard and emotionally draining. Hopefully Saav will live with you much longer than anyone expects.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

I am sorry to hear about Saav and know you take excellent care of your furry family. You're making sure she's comfortable and loved and that's the best you can do.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Does she seem to be OK otherwise?
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Very sorry to hear about your Saav, she is in poor health, that's for sure. I know you deeply love animals and only give your pets the best of care, it's nice that you have a garage that has heating and air, that makes it nice. A dog I had years ago had urinary incontinence when he was old and suffering from other conditions like vestibular disease, mild stroke, kidney problems. Luckily it wasn't too bad and we were able to work around it.

I can imaging how worried you are about your girl, especially after losing your Lilly. Hugs to both of you my friend.
    Thanks my friend. I am worried but taking a page from your book, we're working around this too. So far so good! She's eating, drinking, playing, and still loves her tiny little stuffed animals like she does in the book. I got her a couple new ones today; the others were looking ratty and all torn up. Pook keeps her company out here, and the other cats visit too, because the litterboxes are out here. Hubby set up a small hotel room writing desk he found at a hotel sale so I can have my laptop and journal out here and be with her.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Huge to you for going through this ordeal to take care of a beloved cat. Many people would have given their cats away or sent them to the Rainbow Bridge too soon. Saav is lucky to have a garage with heating and air conditioning as most garages are not ventilated for obvious reasons.

I have dealt with CRF three times. None of my cats were incontinent, but it was very hard and emotionally draining. Hopefully Saav will live with you much longer than anyone expects.
    Thanks! I hope she will. I spend time out here with her and we call the garage my "woman cave." I have a big pad on this writing desk where she is comfy and I can pet her and no worries if she has an "accident."

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    I am sorry to hear about Saav and know you take excellent care of your furry family. You're making sure she's comfortable and loved and that's the best you can do.
    Thanks! We believe in good vet care and quality of life. They are our children ... and maybe a bit more. Maybe a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Does she seem to be OK otherwise?
    Yes, she loves her new toys and right now she is attacking them on the floor. The garage has a sealed concrete floor and makes clean-up easy if she has an accident. She's eating and drinking and just as active as ever. She's 14 years old, and still a mess LOL!

Thanks to all of you. I'll keep y'all posted on her, but for now, she's playing and jumping up here on the desk for pets.

Sorry, I gotta go. She's batting my hands and face and she wants pets LOL!!

Hugs

Saav
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.