Unexpected airport arrival: Dog gives birth at Tampa International

Unexpected airport arrival: Dog gives birth at Tampa International

MAY 25 2018 2:06 PM

TAMPA, FL - It’s not exactly airmail, but a very special delivery just wrapped up at Tampa International Airport. A passenger’s service dog gave birth to eight puppies in the middle of the concourse.

According to an airport spokesperson, a woman and her daughter were on their way to Philadelphia this morning with a pair of service dogs when one of them went into labor. The women said that they knew 'Ellie' the yellow Lab was pregnant, but they were not aware of how close she apparently was to giving birth.

Initially, seven puppies (all boys!) were born but Tampa Fire Rescue’s medical team – admirably stepping up as impromptu veterinarians – had to help Ellie deliver an eighth.

The unusual scene drew quite a crowd outside of the Gasparilla Bar at TIA’s Airside F. Officers, airport employees, and passengers all paused to watch the pups’ arrival. Proud papa 'Nugget' was looking on, too.

A round of applause – and a few barks – echoed through the terminal after Puppy 8 (a girl!) was successfully delivered.

And yes, the two women have since missed their flight to Philly. Airlines don't generally allow pups to fly until they are 8 weeks old, so the family will have to find another way there – with 10 dogs instead of two.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...-international

The special delivery was worth missing their flight to Philadelphia. Great job by all the airport and fire department personnel for helping Ellie get the girl out!

However, this does make me wonder why Ellie was allowed to fly. Was the airline aware a pregnant dog would be on board?
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

I'm glad the pups and mom are all okay, good job by all who helped and cared for them.

Love that story! Way to go Fire Dept!
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Great story! That sure is the way to go!
    I love pets and I love Silky!

I look forward to reading an update on the puppies. Now any dog lover in Tampa knows who to contact if they want a yellow lab puppy.

Awwwwww!! Love it!!

Hugs

Saav
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

That is a nice story! I'm sure those puppies will find homes fast.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    I'm sure those puppies will find homes fast.
    They sure will!
    I love pets and I love Silky!

But they can't go anywhere for at least eight weeks. Yellow Lab seekers have to put their names down to reserve one of the puppies following deworming, the 5-in-1 shot, and some other stuff. I hope there will be no issues with the human family having eight puppies before they can all be spayed or neutered.

I don't think it's going to be a problem at all for the owner or breeder, the pups may already have potential buyers who applied for them. If the breeder chooses to have one or two pups for breeding, then those won't be fixed when young. I think they planned the pregnancy well in advance and were ready to take care of the babies when the time came, they just seem to have arrived a bit unexpectedly, just like with many humans.

I would expect the breeder to know Ellie's due date. The fact that they had no idea how close she was to breaking water implies it was not a planned breeding.

During an appointment this morning I told my audiologist about this story. She said she read about it too and agreed with me no way should Ellie have been allowed to fly.

I agree CatMom....that pregnant dog shouldn't have flown.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

The timing of her labor was probably a godsend to keep her and eight puppies off the plane.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.