Rescue hamster seems sick

Rescue hamster seems sick

I found a hamster in my yard yesterday. When we tried to catch him my dog caught him in his mouth. We quickly got him out and he seemed ok. We tried to find an owner but couldn't.

We have so many pets we can't afford another one. We left him out and was gone for 6 hours. During that time it rained just about the whole 6 hours. When we got back i went to see if he was gone, he was hiding in the same spot soaking wet and shivering. I felt so awful i took him in, dried him off and set him in a warm room.

In the morning i got him a cage, some bedding and food. He ate a tiny bit and hasnt moved other wise other then to burrow into the bedding. He didnt even budge when i picked him up to clean him off a little with a warm rag. He slept the whole time and has been since i took him in.

There's no where i can take him, and we cant really afford another vet bill. My one dog is elderly and we spend a lot of time with her at the vet right now. Is there anything i can do to help him out?

Many, many years ago I had a hamster but it's been so long that I had to research their care on petmd website and founds this:
    Bedding:
    as a general rule, the best and healthiest type of bedding is one that isn't made of wood shavings. Try to find bedding made from cellulose or plant-based paper fibers and avoid cat litter, corn cobs, newspaper and any scented bedding (which contains chemicals that can cause respiratory trouble).Food: you can buy bags of hamster mix, which will generally have a blend of fruits, vegetables and seeds and grains, but you'd do well to also give your hamster small pieces of fresh vegetables and fruit, Hess said. You’ll also want to give your hamster access to fresh water at all times.
    Hamsters are prone to a bacterial disease called wet tail, which can be caused by changes like coming to a new home or suddenly living in an overcrowded cage, and it can be fatal if not treated within 48 hours. Signs of wet tail include lethargy, loss of appetite, failure to groom and diarrhea. If you see any of the above signs, call your veterinarian immediately to have your pet examined and bring a stool sample to the visit for parasite testing.
    https://www.petmd.com/exotic/care/ev...r-your-hamster
    IMO being out in the rain for so long wasn't a good thing so I'd just make him (or her) as comfortable and warm as possible. I would check lost/found sections of social media, etc. and check with neighbors to try to find this little ones owners. Please keep us posted.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Thank you so much for such a fast response. I will check what bedding i bought and i made sure he had gerbal food and fresh water. I will keep his condition posted. I hate to see the little guy suffer any more. And i made a few facebook post for him in hopes someone either claims or wants to take care of him.

Hello and welcome. You're very kind for taking him in and helping the little guy. I hope you can find the owners or someone else who wants to adopt him. Good luck!

You're welcome and I'm glad you're trying to help this little one.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.