Apples and pears for dogs

Apples and pears for dogs

My Jackapoo (Jack Russell/poodle mix) loves apples and pears so much that if my husband or myself is eating an apple he will start begging, jump up, and make a loud 'yowling' noise.

If we put the apple core down or a plate, even for a few seconds, he will try to steal it then run away with it and eat it all - pips included. Does anyone know if apples and pears are good or bad for dogs? What about the pips and core?

Don't know about pears but my dog loves munching on apples that fall from the apple tree with no bad health effects that I can see.

Apple seeds contain cyanide, and dogs should not eat apple seeds or cores. The regular flesh and skin are fine. (Wash well- apples are heavily sprayed.)

Pears are probably the same.

Two of my dogs like to eat a piece of cut Granny Smith with the skin on every morning (no core, no seeds).

One of the dogs I know likes to chew on hole apples, but the owner makes sure he does not eat the seeds or the core. So I think some dogs enjoy eating apples and apples are OK for dogs. Can dogs be allergic to apples?
    I love pets and I love Silky!

I think apples should generally be alright. as long as its just an apple with nothing else it should be alright. if your dog show any allergicc reactions like itch and such then its better to stop feeding your pup apples. but then again, what are the food dogs can eat? chocolate is definitely a no go. chicken is dependent. anythign else?

Quote Originally Posted by pwrlara1990 View Post
    I think apples should generally be alright. as long as its just an apple with nothing else it should be alright. if your dog show any allergicc reactions like itch and such then its better to stop feeding your pup apples. but then again, what are the food dogs can eat? chocolate is definitely a no go. chicken is dependent. anythign else?
    nuts, milk, cocnut, dairy, grapes, coffee, caffeine, avocado etc

Why do a few lactose-intolerant dogs get to ruin the party for all the others? Every dog I ever had loved milk, without any digestive issues, and I give them a little (low fat) every day.

Sunny says, Ich möchte Milch!

LOL
    I love pets and I love Silky!

I didn't know about apple pips containing cyanide

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    Apple seeds contain cyanide, and dogs should not eat apple seeds or cores. The regular flesh and skin are fine. (Wash well- apples are heavily sprayed.)

Pears are probably the same.

Two of my dogs like to eat a piece of cut Granny Smith with the skin on every morning (no core, no seeds).
    Is this true? I knew that peach stones containe cyanide, but I've never heard of apple pips/seeds containing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spottie View Post
    Is this true? I knew that peach stones containe cyanide, but I've never heard of apple pips/seeds containing it?
    yes! apple seeds do contain them too

isnt cyanide poisonous!? but based on this dog food article i read, they say apples are okay but peaches are a not go! even avocados that are so healthy for us are a no go for our pups as well! what! and are all dogs allergic to chocolates? been pondering over this for a while .

Quote Originally Posted by pwrlara1990 View Post
    isnt cyanide poisonous!? but based on this dog food article i read, they say apples are okay but peaches are a not go! even avocados that are so healthy for us are a no go for our pups as well! what! and are all dogs allergic to chocolates? been pondering over this for a while .
    yep apples are fine, just avoid the seeds

yes chocolate is a no go for all

Other fruit that I read is not good for dogs are grapes

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.