Unexplained nonstop itching with no other symptoms??

Unexplained nonstop itching with no other symptoms??

I have an 11yr old maltese who has been itching her mid and lower back and the base of her tail since early February. She bites until shes covered in blood and chews away the hair relentlessly. The only other place she bites is her left front leg, but never to the point of wounds. She has no other symptoms, she plays fine, eats good, drinks good, has no redness or irritation on the places she itches. Her skin is completely normal other than her giant scabs from biting so much. We haven't changed her food or anything when it started.

We took her to the vet and they gave her cytopoint but it did absolutely nothing. Shes still exactly the same and I don't currently have the money to take her back and get her tested for anything

I've tried researching but I haven't seen anyone with this exact issue. Its to the point where she bites so much she gets wads of hair stuck in her teeth, causing her gums to recess, so currently she has a cone on to prevent further injuring of herself.

Is it possible that this is a mental issue instead of physical? Shes a VERY submissive dog and has had some separation anxiety from the time we had bonded. If physical, what could possibly be happening? Im so lost and frustrated at this point.

it could be stress but usually if a dog has ear infections or chews the base of the tail and or feet its an allergy to something. If its a flea allergy only one flea bite can set it off. Is she eating a grain free food? Corn and wheat are usually the culprit in food allergies. The only way to know for sure is to take her to a dog dermatologist to see if and what she is allergic to. You could also ask your vet to do a skin scraping, with that he may be able to pinpoint whats going on with the skin and hopefully have a solution. Also if they prescribe atopica (cortosporin) to calm the skin down say no, that is a killer drug, perfectly healthy dogs that have been given that die of cancer in a matter of months. Your best bet is to go with predazone, its a steroid and will compromise the immune system but its not as bad as some of the other things they prescribe.

Don't use anything scented around her, air freshners, scented laundry soap, ect. You can bathe her in maceleb shampoo and resicourt conditioner, leave the conditioner on, do not rinse off. Get some unscented baby wipes and wipe down her feet, face, belly when she comes in from outside, take off as much of the irritant as you can. These are tips for envriomental allergies, if its stress you have to find the stressor and eliminate it if possible
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

My pitbull is the same way. He is constantly itching. I know Pits are prone to skin problems are Maltese's? What is helping for my dog is we switched to grain free food, that helped a lot but not all the way. I have an oatmeal spray i spray on him to soothe the skin and hot spots, and I keep on the flea pills because he has a crazy flea allergy as well. It hasn't got rid of the itching completely but so far its helped to where I hardly notice him chewing on his paws. I did notice the other day after our walk he was eating his paws and there was no sores so it could be environmental allergies as well. I am seeing about getting him a steroid shot to see if it helps.

if you go with a steroid shot make sure its predazone. Do NOT under any circumstances let them give her the cytopoint shot. read the horror stories on here about dogs getting that shot. Hot spots are a definite reaction to something she is allergic to, What you need to do is shave the area down to the skin, removing all the hair around it. Wash it with an anti bacterial soap or peroxide. The normal course of action is to then put them on an antibiotic in case of infection. My nephew has a white pit bull that itches also, I told him to get a bottle of colloidal silver, mix it with water and spray the dog several times a day, solved the problem for him. Some will say the silver is a "snake oil" but it works. If you decide to go with the silver make sure to spray her "arm pits" and every place that is warm. The silver will kill any germs or yeast.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    if you go with a steroid shot make sure its predazone. Do NOT under any circumstances let them give her the cytopoint shot. read the horror stories on here about dogs getting that shot. Hot spots are a definite reaction to something she is allergic to, What you need to do is shave the area down to the skin, removing all the hair around it. Wash it with an anti bacterial soap or peroxide. The normal course of action is to then put them on an antibiotic in case of infection. My nephew has a white pit bull that itches also, I told him to get a bottle of colloidal silver, mix it with water and spray the dog several times a day, solved the problem for him. Some will say the silver is a "snake oil" but it works. If you decide to go with the silver make sure to spray her "arm pits" and every place that is warm. The silver will kill any germs or yeast.
    What is the difference between the cytopoint shot and the predazone shot? I am going to try your colloidal silver mix. Does it stop the itching or just heal the skin? My babysitter takes silver when she is about to get sick and it stops the illness so I know it works in humans. Are there any side effects in dogs?

https://thesilveredge.com/colloidal-...nditions-fast/

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...loidal-silver/

if you go with the silver remember that it kills the good bacteria as well as the bad so you must give a probiotic to replace the good bacteria

The cytopoint shot is new, has had very little testing done on it and it somehow alters the tcells which affect the dog's health

read this about cytopoing http://www.petforums.com/showthread....ight=cytopoint

Sorry for the really late reply. Yes shes been on a grain free food for nearly a year now. The vet had mentioned it could be a flea allergy, that even them getting on her could cause a reaction. Shes had fleas multiple times in the past without this reaction, is it possible for an allergy like this to suddenly form?

As for stress, I'm not sure. When it started I was gone from home for days at a time and she was just with my family, but her and I moved around 3 months ago and I've been around her much more often and have been able to give her far more attention. Other than that I can't think of any other stressors.

I'll see about the skin scraping and your advice, thank you so much. I hope we can find out whats happening.

if he itches its something outside that is irritating him. use the baby wipes to wipe him down to get as much of whatever it is off of him. One more suggestion, if you think it could be the food, change the protein source. Some dogs are allergic to chicken and turkey, eggs, poultry products ect. If he's eating chicken try something lamb, pork, or fish based.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.