Strange looking lump

Strange looking lump

Hi all... I have a Portuguese Water Dog who will be 13 in September. She's a sweet old girl, and I took her in to have a few of her lumps and bumps aspirated this morning. The vet shaved them down, and was shocked by the look of two of them. Completely discoloured and had no idea what it could be, and also could not get a tissue sample, only blood. She wants to watch and wait, given her age, but does anyone have any idea what this could be??IMG_9179.jpg

Sorry to hear about your girl..what's her name? Maybe it's just me but what part of her body is this photo? I'm not that familiar with lumps or bumps but it's good that your vet doesn't want to rush into anything. Is she acting normally and eating okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Sorry to hear about your girl..what's her name? Maybe it's just me but what part of her body is this photo? I'm not that familiar with lumps or bumps but it's good that your vet doesn't want to rush into anything. Is she acting normally and eating okay?

This is Molly. And it's her neck, just under her chin. She's eating and drinking and stealing snacks from my three little girls every chance she gets I'm not panicking, I just really don't like the look of it either!

Thanks for the quick response. Glad to hear she's doing well and I hope the lump reduces or at least doesn't increase in size. It could be due to her age and/or breed but hopefully the vet will know more. Please keep us posted about Molly and feel free to post a full photo or her and your other girls. This forum is a great place to not only brag about your furry babies but get help and support when things go wrong. Welcome

It looks really bad to me, but I have no idea what it could be. I don't understand why they couldn't get a tissue sample, couldn't they take a needle aspiration like they do with other lumps or tumors? What were the results of the bloodwork, any signs of cancer at all? Wishing the best for you and Molly, hope it gets better and the vet can do something to reduce the size. I hope she's not in too much pain from it.

All Portuguese Water Dogs I've met are either black or black and white, odd to see the blond coloring, or maybe that's just the photo lighting. Good luck and please keep us updated on her condition, thanks and welcome.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! But just like Alpha, I have know idea what that thing is.

Good luck!
    ​Chicken lover!

The vet could only draw blood from it. No tissue. She tried and tried I guess. Here is a picture of my old girl. She's the best friend a girl could have, and it's awful to watch her get old.IMG_7212.jpg

She looks like a nice dog and i'm sorry I can't help you. But hopefully something will work out?!
    ​Chicken lover!

Thanks for posting a photo. You're right...it's tough to see them get older.

My dog had a huge lump like this in his ear and it turned out to be a huge hematoma from hitting his ear on something. We had to drain the blood nightly until it healed. I am sorry that you are going through this. No one wants to see their dogs hurt or injured. When will you find out the results of this mass? Does it seem to be hurting or getting in the way of daily life?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.