Emily, my first cat

Emily, my first cat

Today is the 12th anniversary of a 12-year old cat's Rainbow Bridge crossing. That means Emily has now been gone the same time duration she had lived. This is a sad day.

On June 30, 2006, Emily crashed. She had a bleeding mouth ulcer. Being petted was painful. The last time I saw her at home, she was in a "meatloaf" position - like my avatar, but with her head down. I was waiting for my ride to work and thought it was too late to call off because the driver was already coming. If I was able to drive I would have immediately canceled work, called Mom (who was at her own job), and taken Emily to the vet. But I can't drive for medical reasons and did not know anyone who could help me take her there. This was at around 1:15 because I had a second shift job. I knew Mom would get home at 5:00 - at the end of my 10-minute break. Calling her from work was not an option either unless I dialed her cell phone number. I decided not to because she was driving.

When I got home at 10:30, The first thing Mom told me was, "I want to talk to you about Emily." My sister had seen her bleeding from the mouth (which I did not). Mom said she'd called the vet and taken Emily in minutes after coming home from. (Luckily the practice has an ER.) A different vet had to see her because my regular vet was off work but it didn't take long for her to suspect kidney failure and recommend euthanasia. The vet almost knew it when she saw Emily's mouth ulcer and asked Mom if it was OK to say goodbye then. A blood test confirmed the diagnosis early the next morning, after Emily had received IV fluids and other treatments in the ER overnight.

Emily was still hooked up to an IV when the vet called to give me the bad news. When we entered an exam room the IV was there. Emily meowed when she was carried in. The vet hooked her up to the IV, then gave me the form to choose burial, cremation, or taking the body home. We had no time to talk about this before going there, so despite Mom's wish to have Emily cremated (and my preference to take her home), I had to select the one neither of us wanted: leaving her there for burial somewhere else.

I will never get over the way this all happened or the timing of it. After being unable to bring her body home, I waited three years to finally order a wall plaque because I was upset about not being able to do a rightful home burial. It would be years later before I could believe in this place called the Rainbow Bridge and a reunion with cats in heaven.

Because Emily was my first cat and inspired me to become a cat rescuer, her epitaph is, "She lived to give other cats the freedom of life."
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Rest easy dear Emily, you were and are deeply loved.

Thank you Alpha. She was truly one of the best cats.

RIP Emily.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

What a sad story CatMom. Goodbye dear Emily.
    I love pets and I love Silky!

Yes, it is very sad. I will never forgive myself for waiting so long and letting this happen. The decision should have been made months earlier.

She was beautiful and very loved. Rest well, Emily.

Hugs
    Saav
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.