Beaglemom

Unhappy Beaglemom

My 6 year old Beagle is dying from Lymphoma . We had no clue this was coming on .. I just noticed he was lethargic and I could feel swelling in lymph nodes under his neck . The vet told us he was too far gone
    for any kind of treatment . He has been on prednisone since his diagnosis and he has fought a valiant fight, but his belly is terrifically swollen and nodes are restricting his breathing and having difficulty swallowing his food . He is somewhat active first thing in morning, but mid morning he is exhausted and just lies on his side on the cool tiles all day. The looks heís been giving us is pitiful and we believe itís time to end his suffering . Iíve never had to do this before, and itís tearing me up.

I just need to reach out to others that have gone through this . We have arranged for the vet to come to our home to euthanize him .
    Last edited by Beaglemom; 07-06-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Put in wrong word

Im so sorry Beaglemom. It must be hard to lose such a nice dog, but I think he would be happier over the rainbow bridge.
    ​Chicken lover!

Thanks so much for the kind words !

Welcome to the forum Beaglemom. My heart goes out to you, I'm so sorry you and your baby are going through this. I had a similar cancer with one of my dogs in the past, she had trouble breathing and eventually refused to eat or drink. The Lymphosarcoma was noticed with enlarged lymph glands and quickly spread throughout her body. We kept her comfortable until the day we thought it was kindest to say goodbye, my husband and I took her to the vet for the last time.

It's nice that your vet is coming to your home to put your boy to sleep, he'll be more comfortable that way. My sympathy and hugs for you and your boy.

So sorry Beaglemom. I love Beagles, it must be hard to lose her.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

I lost one of my shepherds to lymphoma, very fast moving cancer, five weeks from the time she was diagnosed until she was gone. I also lost a cat, not lymphoma but he had a cancerous inoperable growth in his chest, he was having to open his mouth to breathe, I wouldn't let him suffer and had him put down right away. Its not easy but we have to think of them and not ourselves. Doesn't mean we love them any less, just means we love them enough to let them go peacefully, end their suffering.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I lost one of my shepherds to lymphoma, very fast moving cancer, five weeks from the time she was diagnosed until she was gone. I also lost a cat, not lymphoma but he had a cancerous inoperable growth in his chest, he was having to open his mouth to breathe, I wouldn't let him suffer and had him put down right away. Its not easy but we have to think of them and not ourselves. Doesn't mean we love them any less, just means we love them enough to let them go peacefully, end their suffering.
    My little guy went to be a fur angel this afternoon . The vet said we were doing it at the right time . He was laboring to breathe and his belly was so swollen. Yeah, Lymphoma is a very fast spreading cancer . It was one month ago he was diagnosed . The organization we used is called Lap of Love . They have offices all over Florida, where we are . Donít know if they are nationwide . They were so supportive, kind and understanding. They have vets on duty round the clock and will come to your home and we decided to have our little guy cremated so we can still have him in our home . They take care of all the details . They even have weekly grieving support meetings . My heart goes out to all of you that have lost your loving pets . They add so much happiness to our lives !!

Ouch, I'm so sorry for your loss. I didn't have a beagle, but I lost my dog back in May, and it's so hard.

Hugs
    Saav
    http://www.petforums.com/showthread....of-Stony-River

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

I"m sorry you had to loose your boy, cancer is a battle you can't win. You can try chemo and maybe buy them a little time but I won't do that just to gain a few week and the outcome is the same. You did the right thing, That's what its all about, we don't want them to suffer so we do what we have to do. Our thoughts are with you in this troubling time.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

My condolences to you and your family Beaglemom, may he rest peacefully.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.