Foxtails

Foxtails

Has anyone had to deal with foxtails going up their dogs nose? My dog had surgery 2 weeks ago to get a foxtail out. He keeps sniffing the ground and I am so worried hell snort another one up. Is there a preventative to this? I cut my grass and pull weeds, but they still appear. He had one in his paw too.

You may find this article helpful

https://www.petmd.com/dog/care/how-p...r-dog-foxtails
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Sorry to hear your dog needed surgery. We have foxtails by me, in the dog park that he runs in, in the weeds everywhere, and some in my yard. I'm backed up to an open field, so I get a lot of weeds. All you can do is cut or pull the weeds, and brush and inspect your dog every day. My cat has even come in from the yard with a couple, so I'm checking and brushing him often too. How did you know he had a foxtail up his nose? http://www.petforums.com/showthread....light=Foxtails

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Sorry to hear your dog needed surgery. We have foxtails by me, in the dog park that he runs in, in the weeds everywhere, and some in my yard. I'm backed up to an open field, so I get a lot of weeds. All you can do is cut or pull the weeds, and brush and inspect your dog every day. My cat has even come in from the yard with a couple, so I'm checking and brushing him often too. How did you know he had a foxtail up his nose? http://www.petforums.com/showthread....light=Foxtails
    He started randomly sneezing extremely hard. He wouldnt stop and his nose was bleeding. He stopped by the time he got to the vet, but they said it was because the mucous in his nose had surrounded the foxtail and it was probably going deeper. Sure enough they pulled a two inch sucker that was embedding in his throat ): It was horrible. I am paranoid of the now. they travel so fast once they are in the body.

Wow, amazing how it traveled to his throat, glad you brought him in! I just groomed my boy, have to brush him daily whether I'm using the clipper or not, and he had around a dozen of them in his hair that had to be removed. They weren't two inches, but they were the bigger ones.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.