Dangerous Words

Dangerous Words

I was recently struck after watching two random news videos that by coincidence both came from CBS Denver. The otherwise normal news stories both ended with the reporter saying, "This is [so and so reporter], covering Colorado first." The corner of the video also says in capital letters "COVERING COLORADO FIRST".

I never heard a news station use this sign-off phrase as a policy. Now maybe the intended meaning is about timing, as in "our station covers Colorado news faster than other stations".

But that's not the way it sounds, because that's not the way it's spoken by the reporters. No, this phrase has virtually the identical ring of Trump's "America First!"

I find both phrases, which are really slogans, disturbing and a sad comment on society.

What do "America First!" and "Colorado First!" have in common?

What they have in common- what they both come down to is- "Me First!"

So, that's where we are nowadays. Supposedly mature, responsible adults, who have no greater vision or aspiration for themselves, their country, and the world than "ME FIRST!"

I certainly don't mean to disparage the great State of Colorado. That's just where I happened to hear that phrase from, which led me to see the similarity. This is a widespread shadow not limited to any particular region.

"ME FIRST!" Like five year olds at a playground. Is this who we are? Is this who we want to become? Chanting and yelling such mantras? On the evening news no less?
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 07-11-2018 at 11:49 PM.

As I've had former experience in broadcasting and advertising, I think there are more than one news channel in CO just like here in NC. They use slogans and flashy advertising to boost their ratings and draw more viewers.

With cable news and channels and all, we have a choice. Even an indoor TV antenna gives us choices, unless we are so rural we can't pick those up.

"Colorado First" may mean Colorado news first, the local stuff from Denver, Colorado Springs, Aspen, etc. It probably has nothing to do with anything political, but it may mean Colorado news first, then maybe national headlines secondary. That's the usual routine with local/state TV news.

For instance, there may be a bank robbery or a murder in Denver and the cops have a description of the vehicle, suspects, direction of travel, etc., which is immediately more important to local/state residents or visitors than what's going on with the latest stuff of Trump or the Middle East or China or wherever. That's exactly what local/state news outlets do.

We all care about what's happening in our backyards.

I think it's simply a marketing/advertising ploy to get one to view one local/state TV station over another, and isn't mimicking any political slogan or position.

It's best to look at all your available local or state TV stations, and choose which best serves you and your community as far as relevance and coverage. Then you can make the best choice on which you choose to view.

Just my take on this.

Hugs
    Saav
    http://www.petforums.com/showthread....of-Stony-River

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.