When We Adopted Audrey, We Were Told She Was Dangerous...

When We Adopted Audrey, We Were Told She Was Dangerous...

A couple years ago, I was working at a boarding kennel.

We got a call that all of the local shelters were full up, and there were 10 blue heelers from a neglect case coming in that needed some attention.
    They were all afraid of people, but only one would bite back when people came near her. She was called Titan because of this.
    My wife and I could see that she was just scared and needed someone to trust. Everyone was telling us she was dangerous and that we were crazy for taking her in to our home.
    Titan wasn't a very girly name, so we gave her a name that was pretty and fierce with Audrey (as in Hepburn). My boss trained 'dangerous' dogs, and wouldn't get near her. She scared the rescuers to death when they tried to move her kennel. All it took was love, patience, and offerings of treats to reach her.

Behold the face of danger:

https://imgur.com/gallery/psKTXzh (images not posting for some reason)

She is the most gentle thing ever, and is only afraid of loud noises, humans, and other dogs. But she trusts my wife and I with everything she has.

Here is her with my father in law's kitten:

She has bonded with our cat to a point that he cries at the window with his stuffed pig until she comes back in:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZPS0zND

https://imgur.com/bSPqujK

Life has been better with her in it, and sure has been more lively.

When she is around us, she just does the cutest things:

She loves to hop on us to give us hugs, and she loves to grab us by the wrist to guide us places.

What do you think? is she going to eat us in our sleep? Are we in over our heads with this beast?
    Last edited by MMCulpa; 07-12-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Great story! Kudos to you and your wife for taking her!
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Poor girl, all she needed was someone to love her so she could love and trust in return. They all want and deserve the same thing, a good home, warm place to sleep, good food to eat and someone to love them. You did a good thing taking her probably saved her life, someone else may just have given up on her and had her put down
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'm so glad you gave her a home! Great story!
    I love pets and I love Silky!

Thanks!
    She has really wormed her way into our hearts the last few years.
    It's made it hard to have company over, because she sees every other human as a threat xD
    She is 11 years old now (9 when we adopted her) and the vet told us she wouldn't live another couple weeks when we first adopted her. She has cancer in her mammary area. But a good diet of tons of love, a lot of fatty foods and omegas, and lots of her favorite game (fetch) has extended her life well past what we could have hoped for
    Just noticed the pictures I posted didn't go through last night. So I updated the post with links to the photos.

Thanks for the links! I hope she lives a long fun life!
    I love pets and I love Silky!

Welcome, Audrey is a real sweetie and so is your kitty, nice that they get along so well! Kudos to you and your wife for not only giving her a loving home, but for nursing her through her cancer issue. Great pics and videos, thanks for sharing them!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.