A cat and a dog

A cat and a dog

At the moment I have a 3 year old cocker spaniel and I've been thinking about getting a cat. Has anyone got a dog and a cat, and if so do they get along? I was worried about how my dog would react to a new animal and whether he'd get jealous.

We just got a new kitten this past December, and we have a 10 year old Standard Schnauzer. The dog has never been around cats, but I've walked him in a pet store where cats were loose, and he was calm and wagging his tail.

We made sure to give the dog extra TLC, so he wouldn't feel that we were only lovin' up the kitty. We took it slow, didn't push anyone, they became familiar and the cat was less and less wary when passing the dog. Now they lie near each other on the floor and bed, and I can give them bits of american cheese while they sit side by side.

I make sure not to disrespect the dog, he always gets the treat first, and gets fed first. I couldn't ask for things to be better between them, all is good and there's love and peace in the house...plenty of equal attention for all.

I have a Jack Russel and his best friend is a cat. They are inseparable. I couldn't have chosen a better friend for him.

In general, cats will be the ones to create problems with dogs. When they grow up together (especially if the dog comes first and the cat comes after) they can be great friends.

You are much better off having the dog first- since the kitten will quickly get used to it, whereas adult cats would be afraid of dogs already, which is hard to fix.

My family had 2 cats that were both about 4 years old when we got a dog. The cats hated it right away, and after a few run-ins the dog learned to leave the cats alone. That's probably the worst-case scenario. Since you're starting with a kitten, things should be fine.

You can try keeping your dog leashed and bring him indoors so that he gets used to the cat and stops viewing her as "prey". Given time this could work. But once the cat is afraid of the dog, it's going to be very difficult to get that idea out of her head. If they've known each other since they were little and they don't get along, I think it's going to be extremely difficult for them to ever have a comfortable relationship. So separation is the best and safest course of action.

Our cat used to live with my wifes parents dog before she moved out. They never got along. The dog was friendly enough and always wanted to play, but our cat would have none of it, and it always ended up with the dog running away with its tail between its legs. Sometimes its just not meant to be. No matter what we tried, they could never be in the same room together.

They had grown up in the same house so it wasnt like they were new to each other. It is a situation that shouldnt be forced, it could end up in disaster for either the cat or dog. We always had a worry that a wayward claw from the cat would catch the dogs eye which could be nasty. Separation is best if they don't get along.

My daughter's have both a dog and a cat and they get along just fine. I was worried about the same thing though. A good idea would be if you have a friend with a cat, ask them to bring the cat over to see how your dog reacts.

The most important thing to remember is to make sure they both know you're there to keep the peace. My dog has had cats around her for her whole life and it has never made a difference. She plays with them and snuggles them and clearly cares for and loves them, but it doesn't stop her from snarling and snapping if the cat invades what she thinks of as her "personal space" when she doesn't want them too. My cats are the same way, they will play with the dog and even share a water dish or treats at times, but if she gets too close when they don't want her around she gets bopped on the nose.

If they know you're there and have been showing them all love and affection in equal measure, it helps them adjust to one another.

Another tip I've had suggested in the past is that if at all possible, you should get kittens in pairs (unless you're introducing a kitten into a household that already has cats in it) as it helps them to have a comfort and support partner there if they find the situation with the dog too stressful. They bond to each other and have less instances of fights or unacceptable behaviour.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.