How can I qualify for an ESA letter?

How can I qualify for an ESA letter?

Hello Everyone,

I just moved to California and I am a bit confused because I am finding it hard to find a place to live. Many owners that I have met till now are not allowing me to have a pet without an ESA letter in their apartment. Does anybody has any idea about ESA and how I can get it easily. What are the requirements to qualify for an ESA Letter?

What is an ESA letter? Why do they exist? Who writes them? How do you get one? Get the answers to all of these questions directly from whoever told you about this requirement.

But first, ask yourself, "Do I really need to rent an apartment that requires an ESA letter to have a pet?" I suspect if any documents are required to have a pet, that means pets are not allowed on the property. Meaning, if your pet is not a service animal, you can't have it. No exceptions. If you have a companion pet, that animal needs to be rehomed. I would stay away from these apartments and go find one that allows unemployed animals who only live to be loved.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

I think if you just get a letter from your doctor saying its a service animal you may be able to get away with just that.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Are we. talking about a big or medium sized dog?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaHarris View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I just moved to California and I am a bit confused because I am finding it hard to find a place to live. Many owners that I have met till now are not allowing me to have a pet without an ESA letter in their apartment. Does anybody has any idea about ESA and how I can get it easily. What are the requirements to qualify for an ESA Letter?
    In an apartment complex like that which doesn't allow pets unless they are service animals, I suggest you find another apartment to rent, I'm sure there are other places that are dog friendly.

If your pet is not already certified as a service animal, then, in my opinion, you should just look elsewhere. I don't think that dogs should be "certified" just to rent an apartment. Too many service animals that are needed for people with disabilities, who should take preference for these rental properties.

Adding to Alpha's comment, I was thinking about the hassle of doing whatever you need to do because nothing like this is as simple as calling the doctor these days. If the property changes owners, you would have to repeat the process unless the new owner decides to permit companion dogs.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.