Bringing a new cat into the household - vaccination query.

Bringing a new cat into the household - vaccination query.

Iíve adopted a cat from a rescue who used to be feral. She is 4 years old (roughly). Sheís going in for her second vax today and she has been spayed. Iíve been advised she can come home tomorrow. However, the rescue are awaiting results from a blood test that tested for FIP.

I already have a cat. He is 3 years old now and had his vax when he was a kitten and has also been neutered. However, he never had his 1yr booster and hasnít had any vax since the ones done when he was a kitten. He has been an indoor cat all his life.

My question is if the test came back positive would it be best to have my current cats vaccinations redone as he never had his 1yr booster or is it fine to bring her home without having the course of vaccinations done again? I donít mind waiting and getting his vax up to date again. Just a genuine question as I want to take the right precautions.

I guess you could give your vet a call and ask his opinion. I never had shot done at all, I have bengals and was told by the breeder that the only shot they should have is distemper, because things like the FIP shot can cause them to have a full blown case of it even if they didn't have the disease. And of course the dreaded rabies, I don't like that one either but that one is law, rabies is the most powerful shot they get and if they are going to have a reaction its usually to that one. I don't over vaccinate my dogs either
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Welcome to the forum.

FIP is not part of the standard vaccine protocol. Boosters are for feline viral rhintracheitis, calcivirus, and panleukopenia (FVRCP). FIP is feline infectious peritinosis. The problem with the FIP vaccine is it causes false positives on the. test for coronavirus, which is often present in completely healthy cats. So the only reason for a cat to get thel FIP vaccine is living with a symptomatic cat.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

FIP is not part of the standard vaccine protocol. Boosters are for feline viral rhintracheitis, calcivirus, and panleukopenia (FVRCP). FIP is feline infectious peritinosis. The problem with the FIP vaccine is it causes false positives on the. test for coronavirus, which is often present in completely healthy cats. So the only reason for a cat to get thel FIP vaccine is living with a symptomatic cat.
    No. FIP is an important vaccine. My cats have this. This is an important vaccine in case rats or other vermin come into contact with cats. Also. cats can have this from birth. I have mine vaccinated with all this and they were tested for this.

Do not assume your inside cats are safe cats. I have seen a neighbor's cats inside, not vaccinated, and full of fleas and also worms. One passed of FIV, not tested, and it was not good.

I get my cats vaccinated for all I can, although they don't go outside. So far being inside, with all vaccinations, they are fine.

They also do not have fleas. We treat all our cats and Lilly (sorry, she passed) with the pill Comfortis and there are no signs of any fleas.

Also, we have had our yards treated with safe pesticide by Terminix and that is a safe way to do this.

Our neighbor's cats are full of fleas, they are indoor cats and their dog brought in fleas.

You have to treat at the source, which means all vaccinations and treating the yards.

My precious girl was flea-free, as we treated her with Comfortis. My precious cats are treated with Comfortis as well. and we have Terminix treating the yards every week.

Never had an issue. Look up keeping cats inside.

If you have an awful yard and fleas and ticks can be out there to come in on clothing and come in, remember the bugs not only stop at the door, but bugs can get in while your pets are not treated regularly.

I'm sure the FIP vaccine is regular protocol to keep our pets healthy. As well as FIV, and others.

Also the rabies vaccine is VERY important!

Just vaccinate for everything. Talk to your vet. It is so much better to be safe than sorry. Speak to your vet for the best way of vaccination and all that, ok?

Loving all our precious pets.

Hugs
    Saav
    http://www.petforums.com/showthread....of-Stony-River

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Whoa, slow down there Saav. We are not talking sbout fleas and backyard chemicals in this thread.

FIV is an important vaccine for outdoor cats, but no vet I ever talked to said indoor cats need it. As for rabies, that one is required by law in both Ohio and Florida, the only two states I ever lived in.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.