Reaction to Shot

Reaction to Shot

Do any of your dogs get a bad reaction from a rabies shot?

Yesterday my dog went in for a rabies shot, never a pleasant experience but this time I thought she did pretty well until she got home. She started to scratch like crazy and at one point she was screaming as if in pain and her skin became red. Today she's okay but her skin is still a bit on the red side.

Rabies is the most powerful shot they get and if there is going to be a reaction its generally this one, the problem is they give the same dose of vaccine no matter the size of the dog, so a chi would get the same dosage as a St Bernard.

I do not over vaccinate, just get the core shots when pups and one booster but I have to do the rabies because its law, otherwise I wouldn't do that one either. States should accept a tider test, that would show that the rabies shot is good for 7 years, not every three that the law makes you have
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I do not over vaccinate, just get the core shots when pups and one booster but I have to do the rabies because its law, otherwise I wouldn't do that one either. States should accept a tider test, that would show that the rabies shot is good for 7 years, not every three that the law makes you have
    Same here, I only get her the rabies shot and I wouldn't even do that either if it wasn't the law. Until 3 years ago my chi was getting yearly shots, the vet never told us they were good for 3 years. And by the way, don't know how it is in the States but here (Canada) the vet needs to sign off on the certificate that it's 3 years, otherwise the shot is considered an annual shot.

Would Canada accept the results of a tider test?
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Don't know, it's probably the same as in the States. Big Pharma pulls the strings if you ask me, a rabies shot every 7 years wouldn't be good for business.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.